It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

unknown18013 HB User
Puh-puh-puh Leeeeez Help Me Out Here, And Quickly!

ok. im going to the doctors for an asthma exam tomrrow (wednesday). i am very confused and not sure what I have. During my last 2 seasons of soccer, when I get seriously running and like crazy moving, i get very very deep, slow breathing. it hurt so bad last game that i cried, and after then game my lungs/chest area hurt. i cant stand smoke one bit (my father smokes and i keep my head out of the window while driving when he smokes). alot of people say that my breathing slow is me just losing stamina, but my personal opinion i dont think it is that. i think its not because i have played soccer for 8 years, and yes, i have gotten my heart rate up, needed a break, gotten tired etc. etc, but never since lately have i been BREATHING like this. it freaks me out. please give me your opinion on my situation and could you also tell me what they will do to me at the checkup. by the way, when i breath, it doesnt squeak (like wheezing i suppose?) and i am 14 years old, 102 lbs and 5''3. any help would really really be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: Puh-puh-puh Leeeeez Help Me Out Here, And Quickly!

What the doctor probably will do is give you a spirometry test. It is easy, painless and non-invasive. You will blow as hard and long as you can through a tube that will measure how much and how fast you can move air out of your lungs. Depending on what the numbers show he may give you a breathing treatment (inhaler with medication) - wait a few minutes and do the test again. IF you do better the second time, you may have asthma. Their are other tests that prove asthma though. But if you are out of shape, you may just have to gradually work up your stamina.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #3

Harmony HB User

You can have asthma and not wheeze. Yeah, they will probably do that test howitt described. THe test is not a big deal and if you do asthma it is important to try to stay calm.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

I don't wheeze. And yeah, the test isn't a big deal. And don't stress--stressin' triggers my asthma. :P

Last edited by Midget; 04-19-2005 at 06:35 PM.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:08 AM   #5
(female)

MelissaNC HB User

My asthma is finally starting to get under control, but stress will definately aggrevate it! Like everyone else said, the test is no problem at all...probably one of the easiest procedures you'll ever have done at a doctor's office, lol. Just remember to tell the doc's everything...and if they misunderstand something, don't be afraid to correct them. Remember, it's your health and they need a crystal clear picture of what happens in order to help you!

Melissa

Old 04-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
(female)

unknown18013 HB User

thanks guys-lots of help! im going to the test tonight. even thugh i have the 411, i have jitters

Closed Thread