It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #1

Harmony HB User
Unhappy The drug I love to hate: Prednisone

I have been on prednisone now for 15 days. (still have to take it for five more days.) It's driving me nuts. I always feel like I'm crazy when I am on this drug. My mood is crazy. You would think after having asthma for 11 years, I would be used to these crazy side effects but I'm not. Also, My doctor told me I need to lose some weight but how am I suppose to do that when every time I go on prednisone I gain weight. The reason I gained all this weight in the first place was because of being on prednisone for over 3 months. please tell I am not alone in all the side effects from prednisone. Please tell me someone can relate?

Last edited by Harmony; 04-19-2005 at 05:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
(female)

RTStudent HB User
Re: The drug I love to hate: Prednisone

I have not taken it, but You are not alone. Unfortunately it comes to benefit vs risk. Just watch what you eat and do the best that you can. It has some pretty harsh side effects but Its a good thing to breathe. Research your condition and the medications available. Your doctor may have missed something that could work. (i'm sure you have already done this and the predisone is needed, but I just want to make sure you've explored all your options).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

Hmm...I love being on Prednisone, but only for short time periods so I don't loose weight. It just gives me so much energy and I can breath so well!

Old 04-26-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
(female)

MelissaNC HB User

I know what you mean, I hate the Pred, too. One thing to talk to your doc about...see if they'll let you try a Medrol dose-pak next time (if there's a next time). The Pred makes me eat constantly, and I'm already overweight as it is, so that's a really bad thing. I didn't notice the mood swings, but meds affect everyone differently. The Medrol wasn't so bad for overeating. And the pills didn't have that nasty taste that the Pred's got!!! And they're way smaller, which is always a plus! Results-wise, it worked just as good as the Pred for me, and the main reason they put me on steroids was to try to get the swelling down so that the other meds could get my asthma under control...figure it's probably the same for you right now. Hope it helps!!!

Melissa

Old 04-27-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
(female)

blondeviolin HB User
You're not alone!

Currently I'm on 60 mgs of prednisone. I have had periods of a few years where I took prednisone or medrol daily. (By the way, you may not experience the same side effects, but the really bad ones--bone decay, weight gain, depression, glaucoma, cataracts, adrenal suppresion--they all happen with any type of systemic--oral or IV or intramuscular or whatever--steroids you take.) I hate it. I end up with chipmunk cheeks and everything. My pulmonologist finally decided that if it's not going to help my lungs after two bursts of steroid then it probably won't help at all and we taper it as quick as we can. Sometimes your lungs are just as twitchy. Other times I have to be hospitalized and get massive doses of steroids and bronchodilators. Unfortunately I get a "tune-up" every three months or so. My last one was an ICU "tune-up" with the BiPAP. If you can catch it with sterois before you have to be put on the ventilator or BiPAP, by all means, it is SO worth it!!!! It takes forever to get over admissions or "tune-ups" like that.

Hope you feel better soon!

Old 05-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #6
(female)

MelissaNC HB User

BlondeViolin, I didn't know about some of those other side effects! Wow... My docs didn't say anything about the long-term effects, but the longest I've been on them was three weeks and there were a few days break in between the courses. Thanks for passing on the info on the other effects...

Closed Thread