It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
(male)

Healthy.J HB User
Nasal obstructions and Asthma?

Hey, this is the first time I visited this board. I am usually on the acne board. Does anyone know if nasal obstruction (a respiratory disorder) has any effect on asthma? I feel like it does. I make it hard for me to breathe and I breathe through my mouth most of time, which strains my lungs. Nasal obstruction is when the inside of your nose is swollen, and blocks the passage of air. Everyone gets this problem a little bit when their sick, but I have a permanent chronic nasal obstruction that can only be helped by surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 09:03 PM   #2

boolsae HB User
Re: Nasal obstructions and Asthma?

My doctor saw that my nasal passages were pretty clogged due to my allergies. He didn't say whether they were causing my breathing problems, but he said they sure weren't helping, obviously. He prescribed Nasonex.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 08:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

My asthma and allergy doctor said that definitely asthma is worsened by nasal congestion. She went so far to prescribe all the nasal meds first to see if that would clear up my asthma. I am 48 with adult onset asthma. It did make a difference in my condition. I still have asthma, but it is controlled well.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #4
(male)

Healthy.J HB User

Does Nasonex ever burn your nose? How long did it take to work? This is the second time I have had nasal obstruction and last time the Doctor prescribed some type of nasal decongestant, which didn't work. I had to do the surgery which did not hurt and worked for over a year, but the bleeding and crusting was horrible. This second case of nasal obstruction has been in affect since November. If I need surgery again I will try the Somnoplasty.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

I don't think nasal obstruction will cause asthma, but if someone has asthma and breathes thru the mouth, it could aggravate the condition. I have allergic and vasomotor rhinitis. I had it real bad. Tried many different medications but they didn't help and I had the surgery. Did they remove your turbinates and bones? If they didn't remove the bones in your case, there's a high chance that the turbinates might grow back and cause congestion again.

What kind of surgery did you have? Was it under GA? Mine hurt alot and I was in severe pain for 2 days! But after having the surgery, I still have symptoms and I was given 3 options(2 diff surgery and meds). And I also have trouble breathing... it feels like I don't get enough air. Then the respiratory doctor found I had severe allergies and put me on nasonex and singulair. What kind of medications have you tried?

Old 05-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

I don't think it causes asthma...but I know for myself, when I'm really congested, I'm often times short of breath, too.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

If you have PND couldnt that exacerbate asthma? I have bad pnd from my sinus surgey and my throat is tight and coated with this junk. I usually dont have this if i dont have pnd

Old 05-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #8

celtic_mom HB User

I know that when I am more congested I become anxious and I notice myself hyperventilating. I had an attack once that turned out to be an anxiety attack brought on by hyperventilating. I thought it was an asthma attack because I couldn't catch my breath and my chest was tight. Now that I know what is happening, I pay more attention to my breathing and if I have bad nasal congestion, I'll take something for it or try sinus flushing. My pulmonary doc also gave me a script for ativan in case of emergency, but luckily, I haven't had to use it. Good luck!

Closed Thread