It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

LPN 90 HB User
Question Advair causing hoarseness ???

Hello All,
I had Bronchitis 5 weeks ago and the DR. put me on Advair 500/50 two times daily to make my breathing easier. Odd thing is I am now hoarse and lose my voice each day. It has occured to me that this has gotten worse as I continue to use the Advair. Have any of you experienced this with Advair usage? I am not wheezing, but have a "thick" feeling airway. Chronic non productive cough. Could the Advair be makeing me worse ??
Thanks for any help you can lend me ! God Bless !

Old 05-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: Advair causing hoarseness ???

I don't think you have to worry about making your condition worse. Advair is an inhaled steroid and will very much help your breathing. It is designed for inflammation such as what you experienced with your bronchiitis. I use Advair 250/50 and have been for about a year for my asthma. It does tend to make my voice a little lower and raspier. It will help to gargle with some cool water and rinse your mouth after using the Advair. And then drink some more water. It helps a lot. You shouldn't have to be on Advair long term unless you have asthma. Hope this helps.
Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
(female)

storm12 HB User

I was extremely hoarse (and it didn't seem to matter what I did to try to change it) while on Advair 500/50 and 250/50. Finally I've been making it on 100/50, and I am not hoarse anymore. A little when I try to sing, but I have hopes to start getting off advair altogether by Christmas this year.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

LPN 90 HB User
Talking Re: Advair causing hoarseness ???

Hi Doodle !
I too was on the 500 and YES it did make my cough/asthma worse. I have taken myself off of it now and doing much better. I have done a lot of research on Advair, and there is lots of controversy over some of the side effects of it. My doctor insist's that I stay on it, but it truly did make me worse. Go Figure

Good luck with your daughter.

Old 05-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
(female)

DITAB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPN 90
Hello All,
I had Bronchitis 5 weeks ago and the DR. put me on Advair 500/50 two times daily to make my breathing easier. Odd thing is I am now hoarse and lose my voice each day. It has occured to me that this has gotten worse as I continue to use the Advair. Have any of you experienced this with Advair usage? I am not wheezing, but have a "thick" feeling airway. Chronic non productive cough. Could the Advair be makeing me worse ??
Thanks for any help you can lend me ! God Bless !

Old 05-23-2005, 07:40 PM   #6
(female)

DITAB HB User

I was on Advair 100/50 for a few years. Yes I was always hoarse but worse I would experience terrible heart poundings that would often wake me up at night. I switched to QVar -- found no relief -- even worsened asthma symptoms. So just today I was put on Pulmicort Inhaler. I hope for the best. I had awful results from Singulair too, which gave me a bad case of bronchitis -- cough - cough! I dunno -- it's so hard to get it right!

Old 05-24-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
(female)

storm12 HB User

I seem to be okay on 100/50 dosage - I don't cough, not very hoarse as I said previously, and I don't have to use albuterol so often - which actually gets my heart racing faster and more often than the lower dose of advair. It all depends on the person, I guess.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
(female)

doodledeb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPN 90
Hi Doodle !
I too was on the 500 and YES it did make my cough/asthma worse. I have taken myself off of it now and doing much better. I have done a lot of research on Advair, and there is lots of controversy over some of the side effects of it. My doctor insist's that I stay on it, but it truly did make me worse. Go Figure

Good luck with your daughter.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #9
(female)

doodledeb HB User

Hi

I really am thinking the advair is part of the problem........tempted to just remove all meds~ dr. continually says not to do that at all! This has been going on a month!
Anyone else gone of meds and done ok?

Old 06-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #10

golflady HB User

I have had a hoarse voice from my Advair for about 3 weeks. 2 days ago I went off the Advair and am using Mescolor only for my asthma/allergies. I have had episodes of this before. Does anyone know how long before your voice is back to semi normal? I have been on Advair 250 for 2 years. I hope I can stay off .

Old 06-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #11
(female)

DITAB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by golflady
I have had a hoarse voice from my Advair for about 3 weeks. 2 days ago I went off the Advair and am using Mescolor only for my asthma/allergies. I have had episodes of this before. Does anyone know how long before your voice is back to semi normal? I have been on Advair 250 for 2 years. I hope I can stay off .

Old 06-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
(female)

DITAB HB User

I, too was on Advair for a number of years. Not only did it cause hoarseness but also heart palpitations (due to the Serevent component). The corticosteroids all affect me in one way or another. I feel they make the asthma symptoms worse. I've taken myself off everything except Albuterol as needed. I feel so much better in many ways but the symptoms do persist and I pray that I can get by on the Albuterol alone. I will give it a couple of weeks and then try the QVAR inhaler again if I can't manage. Sometimes I feel all of these meds bring on asthmna symptoms -- they're all horrible.
Please tell me what other inhaled meds you've tried and to what degree of success?
Deenie

Last edited by DITAB; 06-08-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:42 AM   #13

golflady HB User

I do still have my Albuterol. That is the only inhaler I have used. Before the Advair I was on Accolate. Really didn't have alot of side affects from it but my doctor took me off of it. I would say because of the new warnings that came out about the Accolate. This is day 3 with no Advair. I am still hoarse but I think my voice is a little stronger. How much longer??

Old 07-22-2005, 02:05 PM   #14
(female)

lazerlove HB User

Hi! I'm wondering - now that you've been on the Pulmicort for a month - how you like it compared to the Advair. I have been on Advair for almost 4 years now - and am completely convinced it is the cause for the degradation of my life quality. I have SO many health issues now that I did not have before starting the Advair - that include EXTREME anxiety and agoraphobia, hyperthyroidism and a 50 pound weigh gain - that I am unable to shed regardless of diet or exercise.

My friend has recommended Pulmicort to me, but I am skeptical.
While Advair does come with a LOT of horrible side effects - I also haven't had to use a resuce inhaler in over a year. The comfort of that alone - has been enough to keep me relying on Advair all these years.

I tried to come off it last summer, (they started me on Singulair) - but I started having more severe asthma than I'd had before I started the Advair.

Any input/suggestions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

Alicia Stepp

Old 07-22-2005, 03:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

You might suggest to your doctor if you can GRADUALLY lower your dosage. Right now I am on 250/50 and notice aching joints and gaining weight. I now use it once a day instead of twice and might try the 100/50 in time.

Closed Thread