It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Trying to understand this!

I had asthma as a child. Now I'm 35 and started having problems about 3 years ago. My allergist is no longer living, so I have just been going to my Internal Med doc since I've been seeing him for 10 years and he know's me. We have discovered that my asthma is pretty much seasonal, so I don't know how people live with this everday of their lives! I had a bad asthma attack last weekend beginning on Fri night (probably set off due to all the smoke in the bar I was at thurs night), so I called my doc and luckily he was on call. He said to take 4 puffs of my albuterol every 4 hours and this got me through the weekend. Then saw him first thing Mon morning. Now I'm taking the medrol pack for a week, almost done and back on advir (one puff in the am & one in the pm). Still taking my Zyrtec at night and albuterol for emergencies which I haven't needed all week. So, that's progress. My question is, if this is seasonal, is there anything I can take at the beginning of the season that will prevent all the asthma problems? I forgot to ask my doc that and just thought of this last night. And does the medrol pack make you a little puffy? I think I read that was one of the side effects and I've been on it before but don't remember. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Trying to understand this!

Well, if you have it as an adult, you will always have it because you no longer can outgrow it. So, I would stick with the advair twice a day, use the Zyrtec during allergy season (as allergies set it off) or when you're going to be in an envrionment that you know sets it off (smokey bar, etc), and keep the albuterol close by.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
(female)

tragus HB User

This is often used with kids, but cromolyn sodium is a good inhaler for seasonal "alergy" caused asthma. It's a mast cell stabilizer and may help you. Definately ask your doctor.

Old 05-15-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Do any of you guys work out? I was wondering how all these meds would effect my working out? My breathing is under control, but just curious about the meds. Thanks for the responses!

Old 05-16-2005, 04:47 AM   #5

celtic_mom HB User

Hi - I would think if you went on something like advair prior to allergy season that might work. I suggest finding a pulmonary doctor, frankly, and working with him/her on a year round control plan.

Old 05-16-2005, 05:32 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I work out 3 times a week and run 4 times. Am on Flovent twice a day, Zyrtec, Mobic (anti-inflammatory) and HRT. Take 2 puffs of albuterol before running. None of it seems to interfere.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:17 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

celtic mom...I've seen one pulmonary doc a couple of years ago and he put me on the same thing that my Internal med doc gave me. Those guys are sooo hard to get in to see. I hate changing docs and getting to know another one.

titchou...what is flovent? Is it like Advair? I take Zyrtec and had a reaction to mobic (made my breathing worse), but what's HRT? I do have the albuterol and will make sure to bring it incase I start having problems. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
(female)

tip2mol HB User

It looks like you asthma is allergic triggered. It would definitely be best to see an allergist. An allergist treats asthma and allergies and could do the allergy testing and help with elminating some of your triggers.
You probably do not want to hear this- but being around smoke is one of the worst things you can do if you have allergies or asthma.
There is a product (prescription nasal spray) called Astelin. It helps a person with allergies to environmental created allergens such as perfumes, smoke, gasoline etc... but still I have found that if I am around even a small amount of smoke- I start to shut down. I do avoid several places now- but I much rather feel good than anything.

Take care

Old 05-16-2005, 02:02 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Thanks tip2mol...I'll have to ask my doc about the Astelin. I've been through allergy testing, shots, wheatdrops and grew out of a lot, but there's no way I could go through all that testing again. Especially since it's constantly changing for me from year to year on what sets off my asthma. It's definitely smoke and probably all the yellow stuff on my car. I'll have to stay out of the bars or make sure I don't go when it's Cinco de Mayo and the Rockets are in the playoffs. Champps (sportsbar) was so packed that night and seemed like everyone was smoking. I'm surprised I had a delayed reaction and not a total shutdown right there at the bar.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:55 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Flovent is an inhaled steroid for daily use...and HRT is hormone replacement therapy.

Closed Thread