It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
(female)

Alias977 HB User
Spirometry results.....

Hello everyone! I have had SOB for about 1 1/2 yr now off and on. Finally went to a pulmonologist yesterday and went through PFT's. He never really went over my results and I left more scared and confused then when I got there. Can anyone please tell me if it sounds like asthma. If so, how bad? I was given 500/50 Advair, 40 mg pred for 1 week and albueterol inhaler prn.I am 32, f, 134 lbs, smoked for 10 years (quit 2 weeks ago!!) . I ended up calling him this AM and he switched me to 250/50 Advair as I was coughing all day and night and had severe leg cramps which he thought was because of the Advair being too strong. Thanks in advance for any help and or advice.
PFT results....
FVC best pre- 2.96 84% post rx- 3.37 96% change of 13%
FEV1 pre-1.56 56% post rx- 1.85 67% change of 20%
FEV1/FVC- pre- 53 post rx- 55
FEF25-75%- pre .66 post - .81 change of 23%
FEF 50% - pre .73 post - 1.00 change of 32%
PEF pre- 4.04 ;post- 3.96 change of -2
TLC - 8.63 183%
RV- 5.67 397%
RV/TLC 66
FRC N2- 5.90 227%
VC - 2.96 84% post rx- 3.37 96% change of 13%

DLCO- 12.1 56%
The interpretation:
There is a moderate obstructive lung defect. The airway obstruction is confirmed by the decrease in flow rate peak flow at 50% and 75% of the flow volume curve. An obstructive lung defect is confirmed by an increased RV and an increased TLC. There is a moderate decrease in diffusing capacity. FVC changed by 13%. FEV1 changed by 19% FEF 25-75 changed by 23%. This is interpreted as a good response to the bronchodialtor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: Spirometry results.....

It sounds like asthma to me. I can't remember my results just off the top of my head, by my biggest problem was the small airway function which shows up in the FEF25-75% and FEF 50%. My numbers on those were the lowest. My pre medication was 30% or normal and after using Advair for about 6 months it went up to 50% of normal, which is kind of where it has stayed. My other numbers looked okay in the low 80%. She said asthma shows up first in the small airways. It sounds like you have some inflammation going on, hence the Advair and pred for one week. I sometimes have to get on the oral steroids when I get a sinus inflection and it leads to coughing. Other than that I really don't have much of a problem. I am now using Advair 250/50 once or twice a day and albuteral as needed. I was really worried about my numbers also, but she led me to believe mine were very indicative of asthma and as along as I keep up my medication I wouldn't have a problem. Do you have allergies? It is very important to address those also. I do much better when my sinuses aren't aggrivated.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
(female)

Alias977 HB User

Thanks howitt for your quick reply! Yes I have terrible allergies. Since I posted this a few things have changed. I was taken off of Advair because of some bad side effects. I feel really good since I stopped smoking and I am soooo glad I made that decision to quit. I am concerned however that I might have something more than asthma. Is is possible to diagnose emphysema or COPD from my pft results? Very worried as why my Fev is 56% at 32 yrs old. I did have an increase after bronchodialators which is a good sign right? I think I have CHS or anxiety on top of asthma! I am currently taking singulair 10mg at bedtime and proventil prn. That's it! Not doing much good! Help!

Old 07-16-2005, 06:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

OK. First, I can't remember what the FEV number is? Is that the first number on the chart of percentages? I don't think you need to worry - emphysema doesn't show up until you are well into your years, like in your 50's or 60's. There is an inherited form of emphysema but it strikes young and is very aggressive and extreme. I got tested for that and mine was negative. COPD is unusual in someone your age also. I am so glad you quit smoking! That is probably the one major thing that will help. It might take awhile to get your airways back to normal. I just found out that my daughter who is 19 has been smoking for a year without my knowledge. I really was UPSET! She knows the dangers. the risks, and yet she still did it. I told her how hard it is to quit once you get addicted to nicotine. Hopefully she will heed my advice. I do think you have asthma. Reversability would be rare if you did not. You know, here is what I think. One hundred years ago, asthma was easier to diagnose. Today, we have so many toxins in our food and air, asthma developes quickly at all ages and in many forms. I don't have typical asthma symptoms, but I do have a decrease in my small airways. That does bother me, but I have improved with medications and exercise. That is SO important also. Start running or speed walking and get your lungs really working. When you exercise you breathe really deep and that cleanses the lungs. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread