It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

jeannie00 HB User
When to use inhaler? Also are these side effects of the inhaler normal?????

Ive always wondered the same thing bout when to use inhaler. I too, was just recently diagnosed with asthma. I get these really bad coughing spells all the time for no reason. They come out of the blue. When i get these bad coughing spells, my chest feels like it is bubbling, and it makes whistling noises when i breathe in and out. I cough and cough, hoping to cough up whatever is bubbling in my chest/lungs where ever the bubbling comes from, and i cough up mucous stuff all the time. My chest feels like it gets tight from all the coughing, and some times its hard to breathe, feels like i gotta put a little bit more effort to breathe harder. Kinda feels like u get the wind knocked outta you. My heart sometimes races as well. I was just wondering when my chest starts to bubble when breathing, is that when i should start using the inhaler??? I never really knew when was the right time to to use the inhaler??? Also too, ever since ive been on the inhaler, i have had trouble sleeping at night, I havent had a good nights sleep in bout a week. Im very exhausted. WIll this pass over soon??? Also, is it possible to have widthdralws from not using the inhaler. I havent had to use it for three days now, and i feel soooo weird. I cant explain it. It almost feels like im sooo weak, and have a mayjor buzz. Is that normal from being off of it for a few days??? OR is that just a side effect???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: When to use inhaler? Also are these side effects of the inhaler normal?????

Which inhaler are you talking about? The steroid one (Flovent, advair, etc) should be used daily, usually one or two puffs morning and night. The rescure inharler (albuterol, etc) should be used when you have an attack...and as soon as you realize you are having one. If breathing becomes difficult, wheezy, can't catch your breath, etc...that's an attack. Try one puff and see if it helps. If not, try two. And y ou should always do 2 puffs of the rescure inhaler before any cardio work...jogging, mowing the grass, etc. Can give you more info if we know what inhalers you are on.

Old 10-23-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
(female)

jeannie00 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou
Which inhaler are you talking about? The steroid one (Flovent, advair, etc) should be used daily, usually one or two puffs morning and night. The rescure inharler (albuterol, etc) should be used when you have an attack...and as soon as you realize you are having one. If breathing becomes difficult, wheezy, can't catch your breath, etc...that's an attack. Try one puff and see if it helps. If not, try two. And y ou should always do 2 puffs of the rescure inhaler before any cardio work...jogging, mowing the grass, etc. Can give you more info if we know what inhalers you are on.

I have the albuterol inhaler. Doc wont give me the other one till im done nursing. Says i cant use it while breastfeeding. I was just wondering if i need to use the inhaler when my chest starts bubbling, and whistling. (which is wheezing)?? Cause once that starts happening, thats when i start coughing really bad, and the breathing and stuff, and the tightening. Is that when i should use the inhaler when i start bubbling and making whistling noises? Ive been using it when that happens and it gets better after bout 10-15 mins. I take it when i start wheezing, and that keeps the coughing episodes from getting worse and the tightening. I just didnt know when the right time was to use the inhaler and if i was using it at the appropriite time??? Im new to this whole inhaler/asthma thing and i need help with it.

Old 10-23-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
(female)

jeannie00 HB User

Also too, as ive posted, I have been feeling very funny the past few days where i havent used it. Its kinda like my body is having widthdrawls from not using it. Is that possible??? I cant describe the feeling, its just very weird. It kinda feels like im buzzing really good, and like im weightless and floating. I dont know does that make sense??? I get real shaky too. I feel like im always shaking, I know thats a side effect of it, but what bout the other part?? Is all this normal????

Old 10-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

That is side effects of inhalers but only when you take far too much. I don't think this is withdrawal symptoms. You said your coughing up mucus and feeling weightless/floating and weak.....these are all signs of a chest infection. What colour is the mucus? Whats your cough like?

I had the flue 2 weeks ago and was left with a very bad, dry cough which was all mucusey. It was horrible. Whenever I coughed I had to take my inhaler.

As soon as you feel pressure in your chest (tightness etc) or start coughing, take your inhaler.

Old 10-23-2005, 03:37 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

jennie00: Yes, use it as soon as you experience the tightening, whatever symptoms you know to be the beginning. If you wait too long, the inhaler doesn't work as well.

Old 10-23-2005, 04:15 PM   #7
(female)

jeannie00 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLight
That is side effects of inhalers but only when you take far too much. I don't think this is withdrawal symptoms. You said your coughing up mucus and feeling weightless/floating and weak.....these are all signs of a chest infection. What colour is the mucus? Whats your cough like?

I had the flue 2 weeks ago and was left with a very bad, dry cough which was all mucusey. It was horrible. Whenever I coughed I had to take my inhaler.

As soon as you feel pressure in your chest (tightness etc) or start coughing, take your inhaler.

I dont know the color of the mucus, I swollow it ( i know that is nasty) the cough is brought on by he bubbling and whilstling in my chest/lungs. I dont cough untill my chest starts bubbling and whistling, everytme i breathe in it will bubble and whistle and makes me cough. So dont use the inhaler unless im coughing??? Like i said the wheezing (bubbling and whistling in my chest) brings on the coughing. ?????????????/

Old 10-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

Try and cough up the mucus and see what colour it is. If its green go to the doctor because its a infection.

No you must take the inhaler as soon as you feel your chest tightening, find it hard to breathe, your chest hurts and during/after you cough.

Closed Thread