It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 05:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Mild asthma??

Can you have mild asthma and not take anything for it??

My allergist suspects I may have mild asthma. I have a family hx (brother has it and grandma died from it), I have allergies (mold and tree pollen), and once in a while I get SOB..mostly with exercise.

I cannot take ANYthing with a stimulant because of a heart issue.

And I already take so many meds (beta blocker, klonopin, zyrtec, nasacort, and vitamins) that I would hate to add yet another.

So I am wondering, if my tests DO show I have mild asthma..is this something to worry about? Do I have to take something? Could mild asthma be life threatening?

I am 31. Not over weight. Non smoker.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Re: Mild asthma??

I have mild asthma, and was told by my dr that I could choose not to take anything. As you know, with asthma the bronchial tubes widen and narrow due to various reasons. If you don't take anything for it over time the tubes will lose the ability to widen and narrow and will probably naturally narrow slightly over time. My dr said this would not be major and I would be able to live with it easily. However he did suggest that taking medication to control it was a slightly better option.

I wonder if you would be able to take something for the asthma. I really don't know much about asthma drugs but I understand that singulair is a tablet that you take at night and it is very gentle. I don't think it has the same stimulant effect as inhaled drugs.
Hope the tests go well, sounds like you already have such a lot to cope with that I hope its negative for you. Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The steroid inhalers do not contain a stimulant. The one with a stimulant is only for when you have an attack. I have mild asthma and use Flovent daily. The only time I have to use albuterol is before cardio events - jogging, etc. I've had asthma for about 8-9 years, am 59 years old and have only had to use my rescue inhaler for an attack this spring when the pollen was so bad. I think that's pretty well controlled! So, if yours is mild and you use the steroid inhaler, I would think you might never have an attack...so worry over the stimulant in the rescue inhaler would be moot. Your doctor can give you more information. And since they know about your heart condition (I assume you've told them), they can work around that.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:00 PM   #4
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

I think that you could have mild asthma and not take anything for it but it only takes that one time to have an attack and die from it (I too have had family members die of it). I think that if you had a severe attack and had to go to an ER they would give you albuterol even with a heart condition. I would opt for a daily non stimulant inhailer such as Flovent so that you don't get to the point where you need a steroid inhailer.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

MandyPandy: Flovent is a steroid inhaler....

Closed Thread