It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #1

artteach23 HB User
trouble swallowing at dinner time

is this asthma? i am getting tested for gerd with 24 hour ph... what other areas should i pursue?
NOTHING seems to help
thanks

Old 01-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: trouble swallowing at dinner time

I would think not...asthma is in the airways and causes wheezing, difficulty breathing...not throat issues unless perhaps with post nasal drip from allergies or sinus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 12:03 AM   #3
(female)

sosickntired HB User

im on the same boat here. i find it difficult for me to swallow my food as well.........its sickeing and scary. i also have hard time breathing. but i was told i do not have asma.....what is it then?

Old 01-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

GERD can be a trigger for people with asthma. I have both and have trouble swallowing certain kinds of food. I't like it gets half way down your throat and stops. Does anyone else feel like they're going to choke? My bet is that it's GERD and that my throat is getting worn out because of it.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #5

artteach23 HB User

I am taking prevacid twice a day and the upper gi didn't show anything... 24 hour ph is monday... I don't want to have any bad results but I just hope they have an answer for me... IT IS SO ANNOYING... i feel like i am going crazy... and every dr says something else....
perhaps I have adult on set asthma... perhaps I have gerd or food intolerance but unless you are a black and white case.. they have no clue...
keep us updated if anyone gets answers....
also.. i take all the asthma drus, albuterol, steroid pumps, singulair and NONE of it helps... I should just go off everything....
then i have periods (not recently) that i feel totally normal and I just don't get it!!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 01-22-2006, 03:47 AM   #6

sanshock HB User

Has your doc checked out your thyroid? An enlarged thyroid causes a great deal of trouble swallowing. Might be worth looking into.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
(female)

MissHelen HB User

If I'm understanding you correctly the problem is not in your throat, it's in the pipe further down. I've been treated for GERD and I have asthma. I hadn't had a problem with either in a while and now it's back. It's a real problem with dry food, especially like fried rice. It does happen with other foods. I try to drink little sips of warm water and that helps.

Old 03-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
(male)

Lou212 HB User

My wife was having trouble swallowing her food and sometimes choking a little. She also has GERD. They stretched her esophagus and she doesn't have any trouble swallowing anymore. Her Mother had the same problem. It may have to be stretched again, but that's usually around two years apart or so....it would vary with the individual. Hope this helps, and good luck!
Lou

Old 03-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
(female)

cals HB User

Oh my gosh! I do this too. I do have severe adult onset asthma. But they sent me to a GI doc to get my swallowing checked out. I did the 24hr. ph thing. NEGATIVE. I don't have acid reflux or nothing like it. I also went to see an ENT. My asthma doc suspected vocal cord dysfunction. Don't know much about that. But the ENT didn't see that. He did a cat scan of my sinuses. I had to have sinus/septum surgery. I was hoping that it would take care of it. But it didn't. I still have a hard time swallowing. Sometimes I don't. When I don't it is for days. When I do, it is for days. Mine is worse in the evening. I'm having other symptoms now. They think I have Fibromyalgia or MS. But that is an entire other issue. If you ever get to the bottom of your swallowing problem let us know.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
(female)

acprivra HB User

I have the same problem with a "full-feeling" in my throat. I have Asthma and am taking Aciphex to help with the GERD problems as well, but I still get some of the symptoms at random times or when I eat a lot

Closed Thread