It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Asthma attack recovery time?

I had a bad attack Friday night (two days ago) on an airplane.

Okay... here's me venting... Just as we were about to take off, two off-duty flight attendants sat down in seats near me. One had on really strong perfume, which triggered an attack. I asked her if she could switch spots with her friend (and sit on the other side of the aisle), but she refused, instead suggesting that I move (me, the paying customer...). So she went off and found the flight attendant, but she said that we were about to take off so nothing could be done until after take-off. So I had to sit there two feet from this lady who had marinated in perfume for 30 minutes while we taxied and took off. I took 3 hits on my albuterol, and took my advair (not that it's supposed to help an acute attack, but it was evening, so I was going to take it anyway at some point, and I figured I might as well take it then in case it helped a little). Now, I hardly ever have attacks, and I never take more than one hit of the albuterol, so this totally messed me up. I was shaking really bad and my head was spinning. Finally, the flight attendant comes around and starts chatting with the off-duty ladies. I finally interrupted and brought attention to the fact that I couldn't breathe because of the lady's perfume. So the flight attendant found another seat for me. In an exit row. Where the seats don't recline. Did I mention that this was a 4 hour red-eye flight, where I was counting on getting some nice sleep? Fat chance. I could hardly stand up between the asthma and the albuterol, but I managed to get up to the new seat two rows up and the asthma attack went away eventually. Needless to say, I'm writing a strongly-worded letter to the airline.

Okay, so back to the question.... Had a bad asthma attack two days ago, lasted about 30 minutes, induced by perfume. I pretty much slept all day the next day. I'm still really tight and coughing a bit. It's been a really long time since I've had a bad attack like this, and I'm wondering how long it's supposed to take before I'm back to normal? Or should I be back to normal already? How long should I wait before I see the doctor if I don't get better? I don't even have a real doctor right now, just the ones at student health.

Also, does anybody know if albuterol can induce migraines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
(female)

Quakes99 HB User
Re: Asthma attack recovery time?

Hello, I am a fellow asthmatic I myself had attacks on the airplane, ususallly from b.o. My attacks are coughing fits not wheezing. But the chest pain and soreness ususally lasts up to 3 days or more. Any more then that I go into the doctor. My doctor also gave me a persricption for the oral steriod step pack and told me to take it when i would need a breething treatment, but am unable to get there. It works for me, ( I only take one) and it clears up the pain.

Yeah, The advair would have worked in a few minutes, if i have an attack around the time im supposed to take it i take it too.

You can go to RXlist.com and look up the side effects of arbuterol. I often get headaches after attackes and feel faint after the arbuterol. I was explained that the headaches were the lack of oxygen while I was having my attack, and the faintness was the arbuterol steriod working.

The flight attendent should have moved you immediately if you saw this as a possible problem. In fact if you gave them time, and you told them this would be aproblem you should have been moved before you taxied for take off. Breething isn't something that is taken lightly up in the air. ( I have family that works for Southwest) I would have gone to the doctor when i got back so you would have documentation for the attack. Yeah, definately write them a letter with as much of the specifics as you can, and emphasise the symptoms you had and how long it took to react.

Hope you are feeling better!

Old 02-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I don't know about the Advair because I take Flovent. However, I was instructed NOT to take the two at the same time. In fact, there is supposed to be at least an hour between the two. Perhaps that added to your discomfort? Just a thought...but I would also complain about the flight attendant.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

Let the airline know and you will get afree ticket out of it ...........not that it makes the siduation better but a week in the sunshine(or visiting family) will make you feel a little better !!

Old 02-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou
I don't know about the Advair because I take Flovent. However, I was instructed NOT to take the two at the same time. In fact, there is supposed to be at least an hour between the two.
I've never heard any warnings like that. The big warning on advair is just that it is not meant to relieve an acute attack, that you need to use a rescue inhaler for that. But there's no warnings about not taking it with albuterol. When I had bronchitis my doctor told me to take the albuterol at night, and advair is taken twice a day, so I guess she basically said that it's okay to take them at the same time...

The good news is that I'm feeling better today. Hopefully it will last all evening. And I'm definitely hoping for either a free or discounted ticket... There's a conference in Alaska that I'd love to go to, just don't have the money....

Old 02-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
(female)

Quakes99 HB User

My doctor instructed me to take theSingulair, Advair and Arbuterol at the same time, he said that this way you get in to the habit of taking them all at the same time, and you dont have to worry about counting hours, or what you should take at what time My doctor has asthma as well, and that is what he does So I'm sure he wouldn't advise against something that could hurt himself as well as patients!

Old 03-05-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

YES albuterol, if you take too much, and advair, if you take it too soon.. will give you a migraine!!
I only say so because it's happened to me before. I was having a hard time breathing early last summer so I started taking my advair again. I took it late at night (around 2 or 3 am) and then took it in the morning, around 9 am. Advair is supposed to be taken 12 hours apart. that was 6 hours. Of course in the morning, when I was having a morning attack, I wasnt' thinking and took about 6 or 7 puffs of albuterol AND advair. I didn't think that I had just taken it 6 hours before. I was hit with a monstrous migraine for the rest of the day- and had to work, stand on my feet for 8 hours straight! ugh! but yeah, so I think my story is kind of similar to yours. I just took excedrin migraine and it went away.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

I forgot to say, about the recovery time, I know it's over when I hack up a lot of mucous. I think that means my airways have finally relaxed and stopped making any extra mucous. Usually that's a good sign for me- unless I KEEP coughing up mucous- which means infection- bad sign. It can take a few hours, few days or a few weeks for that to happen. Usually for me a few hours. Hope that helps =)

Old 03-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Blondee15: I knew there was some reason! Thanks. I just never tried it as I only use my albuterol before I go jogging - unless I have a very rare attack.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

So I finally got a letter back from the airline about my complaint. I am not amused. The best part is how they are sorry that it took so long for their flight attendant to recognize my difficulty. I informed her in no uncertain terms of my difficulty before the plane ever left the gate!

I called the customer "care" number to discuss this letter with them, because they obviously didn't understand the magnitude of this issue. The lady responded by saying that sometimes she doesn't like it when she gets seated next to somebody who is wearing heavy perfume or has body odor, but they aren't going to make special exceptions for everybody. She seemed to think that asthma is something that merely makes a person "uncomfortable" or is an "inconvenience"!!!! I tried to explain to her that it is a life-threatening condition, and that I was leaning forward in my seat gasping for air, and she still didn't seem to care. Although she acknowledged that if a person was having a heart attack on the plane before it left the gate, they certainly would have done something.

So if you listen to the airlines, asthma is in no way life-threatening, nor is it a valid medical emergency. It's simply an annoyance. I guess we should all just throw out our inhalers and quit complaining already, huh?

(Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now....)

Old 04-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #11
(female)

Quakes99 HB User

That really sucks. I am disappointed. Maybe a letter from a doctor or some statistics would sell them. Customer Care doesn't really do anything they are trained to filter calls. I would find out who uppermanagement is and contact them...

Sorry it worked out that way, I am disappointed. You could always contact a news channel. They love to work up stories.

Closed Thread