It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
(male)

zippy_mouse HB User
Smile tell your friends and coworkers about your asthma?

Do you tell your friends and colleagues that you have asthma?
I think that there are both advantages and disadvantages about doing this.
The main advantage is that they can help me in an emergency situation.
The main disadvantage is that some of them might have a distorted view of asthma; for example, asthmatics pretend to be ill or llike that.
This is, of course, not true, yet
in the worst case, it could lead to relation problems in the work place.

The best thing is to have those around us understand the disease; about common asthma triggers or symptoms.
However, healthy people are not very cooperative about learning others' diseases.
Fortunately, my asthma has been relatively well controlled, so I don't tell others that I have asthma. I'm afraid that those who are not medically aware might misunderstand my asthma. I don't like others to suspect that I'm just malingering. But I strongly believe that it's better to tell my friends and colleagues about my asthma for emergency cases.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #2
(female)

Buffalo Gal HB User
Re: tell your friends and coworkers about your asthma?

My boss makes it very obvious that my coughing annoys her. But I have to listen to her pass gas, belch and sneeze all day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
(female)

PollyAnn HB User

At work itís hard to keep my Asthma a secret when I still at my desk all day with an uncontrollable hacking cough. Even I get annoyed with it.

I pretty now have it under control and don't cough at all.

Now my co-workers are asking if I'm Ok since I haven't been coughing.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
(female)

Solaray2 HB User

Do you tell your friends and colleagues that you have asthma?
I think that there are both advantages and disadvantages about doing this.

No I dont give this information out at the work place.
Although I do agree in case of an emergency it probably would be wise.
Counting on the inhaler in case of emergency.
Cross my fingers. I havent been rushed to emergency as of yet.

I agree there are Advantages & Disadvantages.
I do not let in be known on an interview my medical information.
Because I feel the company will not want to hire a candidate with a chronic medical condition
who they might think is a high medical cost burden to their payroll.
I believe they might feel it will raise their Medical Insurance Rate Plan.
Which is discrimination.
But we have hire & fire at will here
and it is only considered discrimination legally if they hire/fire because of
race,sex, & age I believe.

I know of a company that forces their new employees to fill out a company life insurance plan
that asks if they have any medical conditions.
Telling them its mandatory & if they dont they will get fired.
Upon this they are shortly fired/layed off after submitting this form if they have a major chronic expensive condition.
So I think its better to be cautious about giving out any information.

Last edited by Solaray2; 05-09-2006 at 04:33 PM.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
(female)

storm12 HB User

I never have mentioned asthma during the interview and hiring process. I share it later, such as when I have an attack because of the disinfectant used on the furniture. So now they don't use that product when I am on a particular floor of the building.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
(male)

zippy_mouse HB User

Thanks for your responses. All are very helpful.
I agree with storm12 that we should not mention our asthma during the interview and hiring process, because this could be a disadvantage in landing the job.
As Solaray2 says, that we have to hide our chronic illness is a form of discrimination, but sometimes it's better not to tell the truth.
Though this also depends on the workplace, if possible, we should tell them about our asthma in order to avoid asthma triggers such as disinfectants, mold-blowing old air conditioners or cigarette smokers.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
(female)

Buffalo Gal HB User

I've had an asthma flare-up, due to a sinus infection. My boss just made it abundantly clear to me that, "I'm not enjoying your coughing, and neither is the rest of the company." Perhaps she thinks *I'M* enjoying it. Looks like I have to go outside to cough, just like the smokers. There's irony for you.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

My husband does tell the people at work that he has asthma but maybe it is because he has had asthma since he was a baby(he is 63) and is more open about it.He has never had a problem getting or keeping a job and last year when he was Diag with Lung Cancer (non smoker) The Co he now works for bent over backwards to help him.One thing I have to say is that he was at work about three weeks after surgery and during Chemo he didn't miss any work plus he very rarely misses work.He has since gotten a promotion. If anyone complains about an asthmatic cough shame on them and try to ignore that person even if she is the boss. You can not help it and she should know better. At the end every one has to decide what works for them. To tell or not to tell I just wanted to share with you what my husband does.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:43 AM   #9
(female)

smiffy09 HB User

i dont tell my work place about my asthma dont think they need to know - if i get in coughing fits due to my asthma i just take my self outside on my own so i dont annoy them with it - im pretty consious about telling people as they dont really understand it and if im having a bad day with my asthma i would prefer to be left alone as people asking if you are ok and fussin round me all the time just makes it worse. I have had asthma a fair few years now and just learn to deal with it on my own

Closed Thread