It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Question Question on prednisone

When you take prednisone, do you still use your albuterol inhaler or albuterol in a nebulizer? Also, do you still take Singulair while on the prednisone? I'm talking short term use of prednisone. Thanks guys!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Question on prednisone

I have only taken Prednisone on short-term increments of a couple weeks at a time. My doctor had me keep taking my Alubterol--as needed, which at that time I needed frequently, Advair 500/50 and Singulair while I was on the Prednisone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dazedandconfused10 HB User

I have not had to but I have heard my dr talk about short term prednisone and advair.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
(female)

basenjimama HB User
Question Re: Question on prednisone

I have been on prednisone for 16 years. I am also on singulair and take albuterol as needed. Has anyone been in a similiar situation and knows of a way that it might be possiblr to come off of this drug permanently?

Old 07-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

What does your pulmonologist say? SInce you aren't on an inhaled steroid, that's worth a try unless you've had some issue with them in the past. I guess what I'm sayingis you haven't told us enough to really make suggestions.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

mergatroy HB User

I have used Prednisone on a short term basis, maybe ten times in the last year and a half. I continue to take all my normal drugs while on it. Prednisone is the ONLY rescuer I have. NOTHING else works like it does. Not good for us.

If it weren't so hard on our bodies, I would take it 365 days a year. My auto immune system malfunctions and it takes the prednisone to pull me out. I love it and I hate it.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by basenjimama
I have been on prednisone for 16 years. I am also on singulair and take albuterol as needed. Has anyone been in a similiar situation and knows of a way that it might be possiblr to come off of this drug permanently?
My that is a long time. My husband has used prednisone for short term many times.When you go off you have to taper. My husband after all the years of being on and off of it he has developed side effects.
Just remember that if you want to get off you have to taper and your doctor will help you do it.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
(female)

blondieblue98 HB User

I wanted to reply to the poster who has been on prednisone for 16 years. I am not trying to scare you but I would definately try to get off any way possible BUT I do understand where you come from. You see my mom had severe asthma and was on prednisone all my life, not to mention she was hospitalized almost all her childhood. But my mother's asthma was so bad that even prednisone didn't help all the time, the one thing it did do was make her gain alot of weight. My mom died at 36 from cardiomyopathy(sp?) but basically she was so heavy her heart stopped and the doctors tried to blame it on her prednisone. It's interesting to see people take both pred. and singulair; I often wondered if my mom would have survived past 1997 if there were other meds that would help and I thought singulair was one. I know my grandfather has bad asthma but since he started singulair he only needs his inhalor sometimes instead of all the time. His case of asthma isn't nearly as severe as my moms was but I think any type of asthma is severe and I don't think people understand the fear of not being able to breathe.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
(female)

basenjimama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by basenjimama

Old 07-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
(female)

basenjimama HB User

To blondieblue98;
Thank you for your response. It was very helpful.I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mother at such a young age. All the doctors have basically said there is no chance I will ever come off the prednisone and that really sucks! I get some comfort in the fact that there are other people out there who feel the same and are going through the same things.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #11
(female)

basenjimama HB User

I've been on inhaled steroids and they don't seem to work as well as the oral ones. I've been on so many different things that it seems my body is immune to most things.

Closed Thread