It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User
Arrow newish to asthma, chronic shallow breathing?

i have chronic shallow breathing, which bothers me even mro ethan youd think sense i ALSO have low blood pressure. im often lightheaded, and sometimes it scares me~ even all day today my breathing has seemed so shallow, just like usual.

can asthma cause chronic shallow breathing? is there anyway to get it to stop doing that? sometimes ill run out of breath whileim walking when its hot or cold out, or while im talking alot even

another problem, i was told "you have asthma" one day at school by my nurse, but my docter says he cant do anything untill he actually sees me having an attack, but cant he do some kind of test without me trying to force an attack somehow?

also, i dont think i weeze alot, but i definitly cough alot, what does that mean?

also, muggy air (lots of pollun or pollution) makes it worse, which is what my dad labled "hayfever", and antihistamines ive tried only make me exausted, hey dont atcually help, are there any that do help?

does asthma effect your blood sugar? (i.e. cuasing hypoglycemia) or your PH level? (i.e. cuasing oral thrush) or your adrenals? (adrenalin hormone) or anything else besdies your breathing?

Last edited by iyami; 08-08-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User
Arrow update

today i had an attack while my mom was isnging my siblings up for school, or so i was told?

i didnt make any weezing sounds, so my mom totally ignored me (which my dad still cnat belive shed do, hes prbably even more mad at her than i am, uhg) but i felt leik my chest was being squished, and liek i was sufficating almost, reeeaally lightheaded like i was about to black out, and i had to concentrate more on my breathing.

so my question is, do some peopel not noticabley weeze when they have asthma attacks or is something lese worng with me?

eventually my mom went by the drug store, and got me something called "Primatene MIST", its an over teh counter inhailer, and im suspoe dto keep it in my purse incase that happens again, but wa sit even an attack?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
(female)

tiercy HB User
Re: newish to asthma, chronic shallow breathing?

my main asthma symptom is bronchial spasms, the tight squeeze feeling in the chest. i do wheeze when i have an attack but the tighter my chest feels the less i wheeze, that's not a good thing.

i have heard of primatine mist but i know nothing about it. maybe your doctor could give you a rescure inhaler to see if that helps. good luck, i hope you get some relief and help soon.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dazedandconfused10 HB User

after about a year of chronic coughing I went in and had a metha choline challenge where if you have asthma it can bring on an attack, that might be what they mean. But the cough was the main clue. I'm not sure I've ever really heard wheezing but definitely poor air quality, humidiyt. The cough I was told was bronchial spasms. I didn't realize I had sob , thought I just needed to exercise more and was out of shape. And now when I get sick espeically if it moves to my chest I'm in trouble . I'm sick with something else and I'm having chest pain and a sense of shallow breathing (which I was told will make you tired). From what I know it does not cause thrush but alot of the prevenative inhalers can if you don't rinse adequately, clean the cup, brush your teeth and some people are just more sensitive. Are you taking anything, you should probably do that test and find out what you are really dealing with. I'm starting to wonder if it makes you prone to getting sick more often, going to post a question.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedandconfused10
after about a year of chronic coughing I went in and had a metha choline challenge where if you have asthma it can bring on an attack, that might be what they mean. But the cough was the main clue. I'm not sure I've ever really heard wheezing but definitely poor air quality, humidiyt. The cough I was told was bronchial spasms. I didn't realize I had sob , thought I just needed to exercise more and was out of shape. And now when I get sick espeically if it moves to my chest I'm in trouble . I'm sick with something else and I'm having chest pain and a sense of shallow breathing (which I was told will make you tired). From what I know it does not cause thrush but alot of the prevenative inhalers can if you don't rinse adequately, clean the cup, brush your teeth and some people are just more sensitive. Are you taking anything, you should probably do that test and find out what you are really dealing with. I'm starting to wonder if it makes you prone to getting sick more often, going to post a question.
i had the same problem last week~ i usually feel liek i need to cough when my chest gets tighter, but when i was sick just last week witah fluelike bug tahts been going around here, all week, especially in the early morning and early evening for some reason, i felt like i was having astham attacks but i wasnt even coughing, and my chest hurt too, so i didnt try useing the primatin mist.

ive been trying to get my asthma tested for -years-, sense i was like 10 or 12, but my docter claims he "cant do anything unless he sees mehaving an attack" .. ive also been trying to get a new docter for two years now. im under 18 so i cant make anything happen myself, my parents need to stop procrastinating. id take any test they want to give me if someone would.

i have fibromyalgia, i alreayd know that, i just assumed it was hwy i got sick so often, but the asthma might be part of it

Old 08-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, your doctor is a fool! You should be seeing a pulmonologist for your breathing problem and an allergist for the allergies. If you could find an allergy/asthma clinic, that would be best. And you should not be using Primatene Mist or any other OTC asthma product until you are diagnosed with the condition. It can be fatal to do so. Throw it in the trash! Perhaps your parents insurance won;t cover this but you should at least ask them. And many asthmatics do not wheeze. I don't. I just can't get my breath. I'm a jogger too so I know what I have to do to be able to breathe. Show your parents this post. Hope this gets you the help you need.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #7

Ellie1970 HB User

I'm a shallow breahter butit's from a combo of 2 partially clooapsed lungs and my asthma .......... your doctor does nOT need to se you have an astham attack to refer you to a speciallist and he should have given you a ventolin/rescue inhailer just incase .... over 4000 pleaple dye from asthma each year just in the US...scary #'s !!!i get dizzy too from the shallow breathing .......

Old 08-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

dazedandconfused10 HB User

I don't wheeze either, I have the cough variant but didn't realize how hard I was working when I got sick, I got reallly dizzy and spacy for days. Don't they have socialized medicine in england, can't you get some kind of care. Obviously the other stuff is not working.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #9
(female)

cosmo HB User

Iyami -

I also have asthma. Your lightheadedness is probably from hyperventilating. So please be careful with that. You may want to try breathing into a paper bag when that happens. It will allow you to breathe in more of the carbon dioxide that you are breathing out too quickly (it's a vasodilator and without it the vessels in your brain are constricting causing the lightheadedness).

Anyway, the test your doctor is talking about, which SHOULD be done, is a methacholine challenge test. It's an annoying test, but it's diagnostic. You don't have to be in an attack to be diagnosed, that's foolish. And you should see a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist can order the methacholine challenge test. They basically have you inhale the methacholine and it will induce an asthma attack IF you have asthma. They may stop the test early if you are strongly positive early on (like I was). Then they will give you albuterol and atrovent at the end to get you out of the asthma attack. I can't tell you how much better I felt after I took that! It was like night and day! Your doctor can also perform PFT's (pulmonary function tests) but the methacholine challenge test is very diagnostic. You should demand that this test is done because the shallow breathing is not normal and it does sound like you have some asthma, especially the allergic type. Please see a pulmonologist so you can get started on treatment! And be VERY careful about those over-the-counter asthma medications (primatene mist, etc) because they can cause your heart rate to race. I really think you should avoid these medications until you see a pulmonologist. Hope this helps!

Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User

Hmm, have you ever been tested for anemia? That can cause light headedness and some of the other symptoms you mentioned...

I find it quite odd that you can't get tested for asthma...you need to see a different doctor. I have never had an actual ATTACK in my life, since I have very mild asthma (I hardly have it at all now, but when I was a kid whenever I got a cold it'd turn into bronchitis, and then I'd have bronchial-asthma, which was horrible cause Ventolin & Becotide and whatever didn't do much because it was all the excess phlegm that was causing the wheezing, not the asthma itself so much), but I was still diagnosed when I was little. They should be able to diagnose you by listening to you breathe, and/or with those respirator things where you blow into the thing and they measure something, lung capacity I think.

I often find myself breathing shallowly. Right now I am and when I'm tired but I think that's not a problem for me, cause I am able to breathe deeper and normally when I remember, and when I'm exercising, talking, etc.

I quit smoking over a year ago and find I feel so much better. So that can't have helped me much. I would cough frequently, especially in the mornings and the evenings. Now I don't. I also hardly get the bronchial cough I used to when I get a cold either. WOO HOO!

Oh, and with the thrush, apparently excess use of Ventolin can bring on oral thrush.

Definitely go and see a doctor. You don't sound like you have major, severe asthma but you don't want it to get worse and you needn't suffer like this.

Good luck.

Closed Thread