It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Question New Asthma Inhaler -Spiriva Question

My wife went to her Pulonary Doctor today and complained about some medication side-effects she was having.

The Doctor took her off of Singulair and an Atrovent Inhaler but gave a 24 day supply of Spiriva- Handihaler an inhalation powder--- and to continue her QVAR inhaler.

My question is -- Has anyone used Spiriiva --Inhalation powder and what was their experience?

Thanks~~~Harry

Last edited by Harry; 10-11-2006 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Correct spelling.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User
Re: New Asthma Inhaler -Spiriva Question

I have used spiriva. I had terrific results with it too. I have emphysema from smoking for many years. I stopped taking it, because I started excersicing and felt that my breathing had improved enough to come off of it. I was right, it had. I feel it's a great drug. I quit smoking 4 yrs ago.

Sid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 06:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Sid,
Thank you for your Responce!!

Old 10-18-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
(female)

Laurette HB User
Smile Re: New Asthma Inhaler -Spiriva Question

I've been using Spiriva since 2001 - before it was approved in the US in 2004. It is the one medication I would never be without. Sometimes it takes a while for it to become effective, but in most cases it does wonders for those suffering from COPD. It is actually a big brother to Atrovent and used once a day instead of the 4 times a day that Atrovent requires.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Laurette,
Thank you for your message! And-- Welcome to Healthboards!!!

My wife has asthma and used Atrovent once daily along with Qvar and Singulair-- 10 mgm.

You certainly have been using Spiriva a long time. You certainly sound satisfied using it.

I have read that it is mostly used by people with COPD but my wife does not have that. Have you experienced any side-effects?

God Bless~~~Harry

The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:
minosdam (03-09-2012)
Old 10-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
(female)

Laurette HB User

Have had no side effects from it. Other users mention a dry mouth but not to the extent that they'd quit taking it. It has really become the drug of choice for those with breathing problems and the once a day use is certainly a bonus. It is a pricey drug and in my case I'm in the dreaded doughnut hole of the Plan D in Medicare but I consider it well worth the cost. I am also on Singulair and since 2000 have only made one trip to the ER because of shortness of breath. I could have avoided it if my nebulizing Albuterol hadn't expired in 2002 (this was in 2006) since all they did was give me a couple of breathing treatments! I have moderate to severe Emphysema, but consider myself lucky when I go to the Clinic every few months and see many in much worse shape than I am. I do hope your wife does well on it.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thank you for your responce.

Harry

Old 10-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
(female)

MinMin24 HB User

I have been on spiriva for the last year or so because of asthma. It has helped me and I have had no side effects with it and what not. I like it better than my advair and singulair. Well I hope that it works as good for your wife as it does me!

Old 10-28-2006, 12:24 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

I have been on Spiriva for a while now and it is great. Once a day, is a big change from all the hand inhaulers I was on. My Mom also used it and she done very well it on too. To me, this is a mIracle Drug as some of you have heard that name called before. When you get to where you feel like ou can't breath thats a bad feeling. I was diagnosed with Asthema many years ago and am so glad they cme out with the Spiriva. Hope that everybody else has good results from it also!

Closed Thread