It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
(male)

john319 HB User
Question Asthma and anxiety

Any good links or suggestions on dealing with anxiety and asthma? I have had anxiety attacks before and after an asthma episodes. My pulmonary dr says I need to deal with this as well as the asthma. I agree.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Kaikrishna HB User
Re: Asthma and anxiety

That's a tough one because asthma is going to give most people anxiety. I would practice some relaxation techniques. Find some things that really calm you, maybe breathing exercises, tea, or anything else that helps you relax. Take measures to decrease your anxiety when you aren't having breathing trouble, by eating healthy, exercising, and doing self help things to manage your anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
(female)

ltad HB User

I have panic attacks and asthma.. its no fun thats for sure, just remember that a panic attack is harmless (even tho it feels like your gonna die) that helps, and just try to your everyday things, its taken me 2 years to deal with my panic attacks, they are no where near as bad as they used to be.. positve thinking helps

Old 10-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
(male)

john319 HB User

My apologies for not replying sooner. The past few days have not been fun. I was dealing with and recovering from being on Lexapro 10 mg. My MD had put me on it for panic and it actually caused me to feel panicky (along with slight nausea, spacey-ness, and fatigue.) I felt like this smilie: I am no longer on it, thank God. And of course I've had several bouts of our "favorite" dilemma: asthma.

Kaikrishna,

Thanks for the message. I have been doing breathing exercises when I feel an attack coming on.

ltad,

How can you tell the difference between the panic and the asthma, especially since shortness of breath is a symptom of both?

[Keep us posted!

Last edited by Administrator; 11-05-2006 at 01:57 AM.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:17 AM   #5
(male)

zippy_mouse HB User

I've been suffering from anxiety, fatigue, irritability and insomnia, as well as asthma, over the past five years.

Recently I went to see a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner who advised me to go to bed
and wake up earlier and keep regular hours.
It took me only a few days to become an early riser.
I wake up at five and go to bed at eleven.
I walk to the park every morning.
Being exposed to sunlight in the morning helps regulate
circadian rhythm.

It's just one week since I became an early lark, so
it's too early to determine the effect of rising early and keeping regular hours.
But now I feel better and more energetic during the day.
I feel more relaxed at night and can fall asleep without the aid of sleeping pills or herb tea.

According the TCM practitioner, psychological conditions such as anxiety, fatigue or irritability
can be, in many cases, attributed to unhealthy sleeping patterns.
Perhaps, things may not be so simple,
but I will continue this lifestyle and hope it helps me improve my mental conditions and asthma
(my asthma has been relatively well controlled thanks to the no-sugar diet).

I personally don't believe in sleeping pills and anti depressant
because I believe they are highly addictive,
so opt for simple and natural ways to restore normal sleep patterns.

I hope this would help.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
(male)

john319 HB User
zippy_mouse

Thanks much.

I wish with all my heart this is the coorrect treatment path you are on. I am also happy the asthma you have is being held in check. May it continue.

Closed Thread