It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
(female)

Juliennes HB User
Another Advair question

I have allergic asthma. For the most part I don't have symptoms very often, only when my allergies are particualrly bad and if I get sick. It actually has gotten better as I've gotten older and I haven't even needed to use an inhaler until a few days ago.
I had been congested for a couple of days and then suddenly Saturday night I could hardly breathe....I think it was the worst my symptoms have ever been. I had to go and get primatene mist (I know it's bad) because I didn't even have any prescriptions anymore and I wasn't going to a doctor at 10:30 at night.

So I ended up at the doctor on Monday morning, the Primatene got me through Sunday, but not that great. The doctor said I have allergic bronchitis and gave me a nebulizer treatment in the office which made me feel so so much better. He sent me home with Advair 250/50 because I am sick and a prescription for the 100/50 dose for when I finish this.
Do I really need to be on a daily regimen since before this my asthma was so mild? Wouldn't albuterol be sufficient which is what I was on years ago and I rarely ever used it?
Maybe these are all silly questions, but I have no insurance and Advair is not cheap!! Thanks for reading!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2006, 02:13 AM   #2
(male)

dutch-ny HB User
Re: Another Advair question

advair is a good med. i use 100/50, it is good to prevent the attacks,i used primetine for years ,problem it only is used for a quick solution to one episode,you are on the right med ,preventing the attack is the best idea.if possible consider getting a air filter for yourself this also helps fighting the attacks by reducing the allergins from getting to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
(female)

tlongfl HB User

I'm a severe asthmatic w/o insurance. My Dr. just increased my Advair to 500/50, 2x's a day. Advair is a preventative measure and I'm confident it's kept me out of the hospital.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I thought my asthma was mild and didn't take the advair. I ended up in the ER. I started on 100/50, saw an allergist who moved me to 250/50, then ended up doing 3 consecutive Pred bursts and now take 500/50. I truly feel it keeps me breathing.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:22 AM   #5
(female)

Jovach51 HB User

I have been using Advair for 6 years now. I have allergic asthma which was mild at first too. You can even have asthma attacks and not know it, until you realize that you are using the albuterol more and more.

I started allergy shots last year which also has help a great deal. But I will have asthma for the rest of my life, so I stay on medication, even though the symptoms are for the most part under control.

P.S. be careful taking Primatene mist. Please read up on it.

Take care

Closed Thread