It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 06:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
How often is too often to use Albuterol?

I have been wondering if I'm using the inhaler too much. I was diagnosed a week and a half ago with bronchitis and seasonal asthma and was told to use the albuterol inhaler every four to six hours, one to two puffs. In the beginning, it wasn't even working. I couldn't breathe and it was awful. Now, my "cold" has gotten better but I still need the inhaler about two or three times a day. I feel like I've been relying on it too much. This whole asthma thing has me scared. I don't like not being ablt to breathe. I have a pulmonary test next week. I have the shortness of breath, like I can't get a good breath and sometimes when I inhale, it makes me cough. Why is that?
I just wonder if I'm relying on the inhaler too much. Anyone?

Old 11-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: How often is too often to use Albuterol?

I have asked my doc the same question. She repeatedly tells me to use it as often as I need to but to come in to see her anytime I don't feel the asthma is under control. She has been very emphatic about this.

I have had times where I was using the Albuterol every 4-6 hours for weeks at a time. I didn't like it because of how shaky it made me, but the shaking was better than not being able to catch my breath. The last time my asthma got that bad I ended up taking Singulair and Advair 500/50 which have become maintainence dosages for me so I don't need the Albuterol as often.

Chronic coughing is my primary asthma symptom. I cough constantly and can't catch my breath. Some of my triggers are chemicals, allergens, cold air and polluted air. When the air is cold or polluted, all it takes is walking out my front door to set off my coughing.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
justme8912 (03-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 04:59 AM   #3
(female)

Jovach51 HB User

Mistina,

Please read up on Asthma. If you are using the albuterol more than 2 times a week your asthma is not under control. You may need to change doctors if you are not satisfied with that answer. When asthma is not under control, you may need to take a long-acting bronchodilator and corticosteroid. I use Advair as my control medication and I use albuterol only when necessary.

Hope that helps, feel better

Old 11-02-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I concur, Jovach. You need to get it under control. It may take tryign different meds and combinations until you find what works. And yo may find that at certain times, you need to adjust your dosages. Everyone is different and you just have to work to find the right combination. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

I saw the Asthma nurse today and I asked the same question. She told me if I'm on 2 puffs twice a day and take my inhalers 4 times a day for over 2 days then I should see my Doctor. So basically if your taking it 4 times a day or more, then see your Doctor.

It may take another week though for your Bronchitis to completely clear away and for the inflammation in your Lungs to reduce. This could be whats making you take your inhaler more. But because weekend is coming up, I would see your Doctor.

Closed Thread