It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
(male)

RedMan1972 HB User
Bronchial Spasms?!?

I am 34 years old and I was recently diagnosed with allergies/asthma. What should I expect? It has recently started getting cold and I had this tightness/pain in the center of my chest. I told my doctor about it and they said that was a bronchial spasm and it was the time of the year when those are triggered. Does anybody else get them? When you get them do you feel short of breath because I didn't.

In general, I just want to know what to expect. I used to be a smoker (12 years, 1 pack a day) and I am always worried about it being lung cancer and/or COPD. I have had three chest x-rays over four months and nothing show in relation to cancer but I still get a little scared...anyone else in this boat?

Also, when you doing minor clean-up do you sometimes feel just a little out of breath. A little meaning, when I notice it it is usually gone within 20 seconds or less. This is probably normal and I'm being overly paranoid, huh? It just seems like this has been going on for so long, that I've forgotten what normal is...

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
(male)

john319 HB User
Arrow Re: Bronchial Spasms?!?

Hey Redman,

Sorry about your situation. I too suffer from asthma and allergies. I am 41, first got asthma in 2000 and got worse over the past year, probably due to sick building syndrome. This is a term to describe when a building's structure material and/or ventilation initiate or worsen an illness such as asthma. Along with making me more chronic, my allergies also got worse over the past 3 months. Re: loss of breath...for me once in a while it will be climbing (stairs, the hill to my apartment.)

Keep this in mind: everyone's body chemistry and asthma can be different. A perfect example is a co-worker who also has asthma is not affected by the building's condition. My main trigger is heated/stuffy environments; someone else's could be perfume.

I also am a worrier but I am working on keeping it in check. May I suggest doing the same because anxiety-related asthma is another puppy I am dealing with. In addition to worrying, say about test results, I infrequently get panic episodes pre and post an asthma episode.

The other thing I suggest, actually highly recommend, is be on the asthma like white on rice. Work closely with your pulmonary and/or allergy dr. Do research on the Net; if I had a buck for every time I've been online for asthma in the past 3 months I would be on my 2nd Cadillac . I was so surprised in my research to read how many people ignore or place little importance on asthma symptoms until it is too late and they're in the ER. Take your meds as prescribed by the doctor. See if in your area (hospital, a dr) there are asthma programs/research studies. Use this forum and others. Stay positive. If you're religious pray not just for healing but for strength, guidance, and comfort.

All the best,

John

Last edited by john319; 11-05-2006 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Adding more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User
Re: Bronchial Spasms?!?

Not everybody gets broncial spasms, since there are different types and manifestations of asthma. But if you do experiment broncial spasms, it not something you feel, like heard palpatations. Don't worry about that part anyway. Just be concerned with keeping your symptoms under control and contacting your doctor if there's a problem.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
(male)

principledad HB User
Re: Bronchial Spasms?!?

I was diagnosed with Bronchial Spasms in 1988. I am now almost 52. Bronchial Spasms are triggered by allergies, a cold or other illness. In my case I tend to only experience them once a year at most. This condition makes me cough, but only when I talk (which is all the time) so my wife finally gets some peace when I am afflicted with this.

My Albuterol inhaler is almost useless. Cough drops help some but I have to consume them almost constantly. I find 'Atomic Fireballs' the cinnamon candy offer almost instant relief. There is just one problem; the human mouth was not designed for very much exposure to these tasty little morsels.

I would love to hear if other people experience relief from consuming hot cinnamon candy.

Regards...

Last edited by principledad; 04-05-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Closed Thread