It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
Anybody on inhaled corticosteroids long term (year or more) having joint pain/probs?

Hi, are any of you who've been on inhaled steroids for a long time having trouble, pain or problems with your joints?
I've been on azmacort for about a year now & it does GREAT for my asthma. But, I read that a long term effect of inhaled steroids is joint pain of the larger joints. I've been having terrible pain in knees, ankle & spine for about a month now off and on. The knee pain seems to be here to stay now.. ugg.... Could this be from inhaled steroids? I never had pain or problems with bone or joint pain before this except mild stiffness when in one position for too long.
Thanks

Old 04-19-2007, 04:03 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Anybody on inhaled corticosteroids long term (year or more) having joint pain/pro

I've been on Flovent for about 15 years and have no problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
(male)

ILiveForMyKIDS HB User
Re: Anybody on inhaled corticosteroids long term (year or more) having joint pain/pro

Inhaled steriods are prescribed at a much smaller dosage than sytemic steriods. For the obvious reason that the medication is administered directly to the problem area. Inhaled steriods can cause problems but as far as I've read it's mostly the system, prednisone, that will really cause problems. Have you changed medications recently? Lowered a dose of something? More or less exercise? Stress. I had a bout of Fibromylasia, which was THE worst pain I have ever experienced in my entire life. I was lying there all day, went to the emergency rooms, and doctors non-stop it was out of control. After some research many moons later come to find out it was a lowering of an antidepressant LEXAPRO that caused this temporary Fibromylasia. It took a few weeks for the pain to come, so it was hard at that time to relate the two. Just some information - the body is a complex machine. Sry to hear about your pain. It sux. Hot baths help a lot!

J

Old 05-01-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, thank you all for the replies. My knee pain has gone away for the most part only coming when I am in one position for a long time. It was horrible there for a short while though. I have no idea what it could have been from. The only thing I came up with frommy meds was I read something about long term use of inhaled steroids can cause joint paint in the larger joints which I was having so I figured that was it.

The only thing different I had going on around this time was I had recently been pre-medicated for a procedure tat involved a dye I'm allergic to so to prevent the reaction they pumped me full of steroid pills like a LOT over a day, then a huge injection of steroid (all along with my inhaler too). Well about 2 days later the weird joint pains came. I had it pretty bad in lower spine too but severe in my knees. I thought I'd broken something for a day or so... It was that bad. Can steroid withdrawl cause pains like that?
If so... I dread if I ever have to come off this stuff. I guess that's why they say to do it very very slowly. I just find it hard to believe that I could have withdrawl from what was around 48 hrs of steroids pumped into me. It was very high doses. Oh well... What ever it was I hope it nevvvver comes back. That pain was terrible. I feel so bad for those of you who have to go through pain all the time.
Wishing you all well!
Thanks!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
(female)

idahogirl46 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Anybody on inhaled corticosteroids long term (year or more) having joint pain/pro

Hello,

I have been doing some research on inhaled corticosteroids. I have been on Advair for 2 1/2 years. I didnt think that Adviar and my symtoms were related but after checking it out I found at most poeple have side affects, including ear pain and itching. Sinus problems, trouble sleeping, weight gain, pain in there joints. Horrible cramping in the toes and calves. I can't believe how Drs just prescribe these meds then when you have side affects they put you on drugs to deal with the side affects.....UUGG If your on Advair....please check it out..Im weaning my self off today~!!!

Best of luck Idaho girl

Last edited by idahogirl46; 05-03-2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

My husband has been on albuterol forever plus pulmicort,serevent and now also spiiriva and has had hip pain for many years but he has also taken prednisone several times a year and that drug will cause major side effects included is joint pain.This has happened slowly and everytime he is on prednisone it does seem worse a few days after tappering off of that drug. The inhalers I am not sure of but his pulmonary Doc is trying to get him off of some of the inhalers.He has had asthma since he was very young about 2 so it is an ongoing process with drugs. When he was young a pill called tederal worked but in the 70's the NEW inhalers were started on him and tederal was taken away. His Asthma has gotten worse since then. I would love to find Tederal and let him try it again. He did try advair and he felt so much worse our daughter takes it and feels so much better.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

Mee too.. I have a lot of pain today, and I have been on steroids for 20 years. going to see a natural path dr. in 2 weeks and he has said he has cured people of asthma, so I will post again in 2 weeks when I go. But I have to pay for it out of my pocket and it will cost a lot. The good thing is the medication is more natural and I donít believe there are any steroids in it. But I will ask. My hope is, if I can control my asthma with out using steroids, and maybe cure it. maybe the paid and all my other problems will go away too.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

my horrible knee pain has passed thank goodness since I posted last. The only thing new or different I did around that time was I had to really LOAD up on steroid pills like I think it was around 150mg for 24 hrs, then a huge injection of it, along with my inhaled steroids the day of and after all this... I was being "pre-treated" for a test I had to do that included something I was allergic so I had to pre treat to prevent the allergy response. anyway.... I have never had so much steroid in a small amount of time like that and that is possibly what caused me to have the pains. They were so horrid it was like trying to walk around with broken knees. I'm just thankful it passed. anyway, I read up about the steroids (inhaled ones) and one of the long term effects of azmacort is joint pain.... I think i was just over loaded with it that day and that's how my body responded.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I had joint pain and weight gain using Advair 250/50 for 4 years. On my own, I reduced my dosage to once a day (instead of twice). Now I am able to use it 3 times a week and still control my asthma. I also take a lot of supplements, do breathing exercises, eat lung healthy food, etc. that I'm sure help out. Even the advertisements on TV say to use Advair for only as long as needed. Which to me is a stupid thing to say when you're addressing asthma. Hey! IT DOESN'T GO AWAY! I think any drug is best when taken only if absolutely necessary and as long as needed.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #10
(female)

Melissa29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_panic411 View Post
Hi, are any of you who've been on inhaled steroids for a long time having trouble, pain or problems with your joints?
I've been on azmacort for about a year now & it does GREAT for my asthma. But, I read that a long term effect of inhaled steroids is joint pain of the larger joints. I've been having terrible pain in knees, ankle & spine for about a month now off and on. The knee pain seems to be here to stay now.. ugg.... Could this be from inhaled steroids? I never had pain or problems with bone or joint pain before this except mild stiffness when in one position for too long.
Thanks
I have been taking Flovent 110 inhaler which is a steroid for 7 years now and it does wonders for me! I never have an asthma attack, and before I started taking it I would have attacks every 4-6 hours. I haven't had any side effects. I asked my pulmonologist if it would do any long term damage and he said it may bother my eye site Wayyy down the road. We will see. All I know is it's worth taking if I can breathe! Good Luck! Melissa

Old 06-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
(female)

popeyeslove HB User

Hi,
I just read your post. I am a severe asthmatic. I have been hosppitalized more thatn 30 times since the fall of 2003. As you can imagine, I am on a lot of prednisone most of the time.

Anyway, I noticed your post because of the joint pain. In March when I came home from the hospital I began tapering off of my prednisone (again). After a few days home and on much lower doses of prednisone I started having major joint pain in my spine, neck, hands, and knees. For two days I could barely move. I began taking ibuprofen and it did lessen up, but never quite went away.

2 months later I ended up in the hospital again. While I was in the ER i mentioned my joint pain to the doc and she said that they were only dealing with the asthma. Once I was admitted, I mentioned it to the nurse and she told me to tell my doc, which I did and he blew me off. He was focusing on the asthma.

I came home, started tapering off of the prednisone, and the same thing happened again. This time when I went for my followup appt. I could hardly walk, it hurt so bad. I made a list of all of my symptoms and made my doc take a look.

He now thinks that I may have lupus or "something lupus like" as he puts it. I am seeing a rheumatologist in August and he will run the neccessary test.

I have been researching lupus and things like it fanatically for the last 2 weeks. There seems to be a connection to some of the meds I have been on and developing lupus. The fact that it gets worse as I come off of the prednisone may also point to lupus. Plus, they have not been able to determine why my asthma keeps flaring up sooooo often. I take all my meds and have no allergies. Guess what?! Lupus could be causing inflamation in my lungs, which could be the trigger for my asthma.

I know this has gotten long and I am not trying to scare anyone. Prednisone and some of the inhalers with steroids in them can indeed cause joint pain. However, sometimes it is more than that. Keep a record and make sure to tell your doc everything, even if it seems unrelated.

I will post again as the tests are done and let you all know about any connections that turn up.

Closed Thread