It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
I tried omega 3, zink, magnesium from food & local honey to help my asthma -WOW!

Milk products are bad for asthma such as milk, cheese, etc., it makes it worse cause it thickens mucous in the body. I also read the milk proteins causes a slight inflamatory type response in the body. I read that starchy foods such as corn and potatos are bad too but can't remember why....sry.

I did a search on asthma diet and came up that nearly all asthmatics have a few things in common...
They are almost all low on,
1. zink. (found in Eggs, yellow squash, carrots, spinach, broccoli)
2. Magnesium (found in meats, seafood, green vegetables, nuts, kidney and lima beans, bananas, peanut butter and potatoes)
3. Omega 3's (found in Cold water fish, such as salmon, flaxseeds, walnuts, dried cloves, Green beans, Scallops, Tuna, Mackerel, Cod, Shrimps, Sardines, Strawberries,Turnip greens, Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds, Snapper, Soybeans)

AND

most of them have too much omega 6 (or is it omega 9?) in the diet which competes for absorbtion with omega 3's. Omega 6's (or 9/don't remember) are 10x higher in the typical diet than omega 3's.
Omega 6's or is it omega 9? come from things such as butter, mayonase, etc.

I have taken a multivitamin for ages to no avail. So I decided a few days ago to try adding 1 cup of spinach 2x a day to my food (instead of lettuce, i even added it to spaghetti once and it was sooooo yummy), one serving of fish (either salmon or sardines- i get the ones in water and remove all the weird stuff, like the spine bones and top find -ewe, anyway, other than that, if in water instead of oil it kind of tastes like tuna -trust me, add a little salt or salt substitute, the after taste is bad if not), There is also this peanut butter I fount that is all natural with 1g of omega 3 per 2 spoon fulls and to my amazement it tastes fab! Just like peanut butter (great alternative so far to fish days).

I read that with asthma, no more than 10% of your protien should be from meat. such as beef, chicken, pork. (boo! cuz i love beef).
Anyway, my pint is.... I started this less than a week ago and my emotions, moods, body, and best of all asthma have been feeling pretty darn good. I told my mom I felt like I didn't even have asthma these last few days. I have not taken my steroid or rescue inhalers, or allergy meds at all these last 4 days... It;s been great!

Today I skipped my omega 3 and zink intake and by around 1AM I felt a little asthma-ish so I took my steroid. lol... who knows... Maybe I was feeling good cuz of the steroid all along and should not have skipped!. Odd for me tho cuz I can't go a day w/o my inhalers so I'm opting for it being the food that helped. Even if I just ate one sardine (3 come in a can) I still felt better in general all over physically and emotions too.
Now, if I could just fix my memory! lol

OH - and one other thing I added. I found out that I have a lot of allergies too and they make my asthma worse sometimes..... I heard that by taking a spoon of honey (from your local area) 12 hrs apart each day builds antibodies to outdoor allergies. I travel to the same 3 different states all the time so I'm thinking of adding the other 2 states as well so I don;t have so much allergies there either.
It's too early to tell if it works yet but I did seem to have some extra energy after eating it..... Maybe it's cuz it's sugary??

If ANYone else w/asthma will try this adding from food "omega 3, zink, magnesium & local honey thing with me... Let me know, I'd like to hear your results. So far mine have been great. I noticed slight difference even within 24 hrs and by 4 days felt like a normal person (no illness). I wish I didn't skip today so I could see if it continued.... But fish & peanut butter get pretty old -I just haddddddd to cave and have pizza instead.

I'll be trying this out over the next month..... bye for now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: I tried omega 3, zink, magnesium from food & local honey to help my asthma -WOW!

I have asthma, also, and am constantly trying new things (supplements, foods, etc.) that will help me reduce or eliminate some of my medications. Actually, all I am on right now is Advair 250/50 once or twice a day depending on how I feel. Allergy season is in full swing at my house. I live in the country with cedars and oak trees surrounding my house. It is beautiful, but agonizing for me. If I can get through March April and May I will be fine. Anyway, I would really like to be able to get off of Advair. You know, the commercials advertising Advair for asthma don't really say anything about side affects, but the commercials about Advair for COPD talk about osteoporosis, vision problems, especially if used for 6 months or longer. Now this is the same medication that they're talking about! Are we being duped here? I know that dairy is bad for me, but I love cheese! I just need to crack down and eat what is good for me. Also, eating at least one apple a day helps my breathing. I have read that it increases lung function. It's also just generally good for you! ... Starting today, I am going to eat more fish, more fruits and veggies, and really, really try and cut out the dairy.
Thanks for the encouragement!
Cindy

Old 05-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: I tried omega 3, zink, magnesium from food & local honey to help my asthma -WOW!

That's good! I've had a ton of drama in my life this last week so my diet ahs not been so great (pizza, ham sandwiches, brownies, you know... quick food or junk) and just this morning I thought I was having an asthma attack but it turned out to be from my heart. I had to call 911, etc... It passed thank goodness. I've gotten down to 2 puffs of my azmacort steroid inhaler every other day till this! It's got to be diet! Or at least diet is #1, and stress in the mix is all my body can bare then I start to get ill one way or another.

Today, I had to do 3 puffs and have been slightly heavy in my chest. The ambulance guys gave me and EKG which didn't show anything that looked like a heart attack so that's out. I took an asprine just in case anyway.

I tried having a couple other foods besides spinace for the zink and didn't have the same results. 2 cups of spinach a day is kind of a lot but I totally felt better.

I have not have any fish for a little while now either for omega 3. I'm still every day having 2 spoons of the omega 3 peanut butter I mentioned though and 2 spoons of local honey.

I'm thinking of growing my own spinach since it so easily carries bad bacterias that wont wash off well. I saw that it was the bagged spinach that is infected most often.

I'm going to the sore tomorrow to load up on fish. I plan to eat it 6 days a week. There has GOT to be something better than canned sardines for a quicky fish snack rich in omega 3's. I just hate the taste and those fins-yuck.

There is no longer mayonnase, cheese, milk or butter in my fridge. I've switched to soy milk and veggie-cheese.... Parmesan, I will miss you dearly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

It's great you are broadening your fish variety. We love salmon. My husband grilled it last week and it was wonderful! Also try Tilapia. It is a very white fish with practically no fish taste! I still love the old standby - canned tuna!I don't know how you stand the canned sardines! Yuk! There are so many others to try!

Old 06-14-2007, 01:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ok, i tried a few other food mixes and I do not feel different at all unless I have salmon 1x a day PLUS about 2 cups of chopped spinach 2x a day. So far that is the only combo that I feel a real jolt of all over goodness within a day of starting that lasts and doesn't seem to take weeks to kick in. I'm getting tired of it though and don't wanna go back to sardines (which also worked on days I didn't have salmon). I tried Cod & Talapia (spelling?). Neither seemed to have the same effects. What ever I've tried so far, I've stuck w/ 2 to 3 days in a row just to see how I feel. Asthma wise, I'm in the high season for allergies and this time last year I could NOT breathe at all hardly, in the ER a few times from it, but that was my first yr of asthma onset so who knows.... Anyway, I'm not 100% sure the salmon and spinach are to thank or not, but like I said, when I 1st started this diet, I didn't need any of my inhalers at all including any steroids for a good little while. I normaly can't go more than 3 days w/o them. Then I went back to eating pizza, fast food, etc., and I started having asthma big time again. Now this round on that diet, I've decided not to just go off my steroid cold turkey, but have fully been able to cut my dose in 1/2 and am very comfortable, spend lots of time outside even though I have terrible allergies most of the time. I've just not been having ill feelings in my body with this. I have been having head aches though but that could be from my boyfriend who reverts back to being 4 about once a day now. joy.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I've had sinus and a tickly throat for awhile now. I have been eating better - no sugar, no wheat, very little carbs and a lot of lean meat, apples, and vegetables (Oh, also Green Tea!). Well, I went to visit my sister who eats a lot of junk food. One night we had tacos, pizza, chips and dip and then an ice cream sundae for dessert. How about that junk food binge? Well, the next morning, I was really sick - coughing up phlegm, chest rattly, headache, etc. I think it was eating all those carbs, sugar, and ice cream after being so careful and eating right. I almost went to the walk in clinic today, but felt a little better after taking all my vitamins, and drinking A LOT of water. I say, whatever works for you, do it. I felt so bad after eating that stuff, that I don't think I even want to look at it again!! My sister also has a cat and smokes, which could have contributed to some of it. I probably shouldn't visit her at her house anymore. She needs to come to MY house! Ha!
Cindy

Old 06-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

for sure, the cheese from the pizza, and the ice cream all being a milk product, thickens mucous in the body. I used to eat cheese morning, noon night and inbetween on everything and for a LONG time my post nasal drip and lung mucous was thick like elmers glue or thick mashed potatos. It's very difficult to get out. I was taking mucinex like crazy and it helped about 70% but till I kicked milk products, it was still there every 4 hrs if I didn't load up 600mg's of mucinex.
I have a small ice cream maybe 1x every 2 weeks.
instead of loadin on the cheese, I have shredded parmesan to sprinkle for taste. So I can have a little but not a lot, like the average amount of cheese on 2 slices of pizza will do me in. But if I order pizza w/no cheese on it, then sprinkle it on lightly at home, I can have 2 slices w/no thick mucus probs.... except maybe some heart burn... lol... but that's another issue.
Either way, it's like this..... eat healthy and feel happy for no reason at all, balanced feelings, thoughts and good energy, not so cranky, etc... Or eat the average diet of pizza, a sandwich, chips, fast food, etc., and feel like not looking forward to simple chores, work, physical anything, want to be lazy, relax, and feel like a bloated blob with no motivation.
That's how much of a difference it has been with this diet. I've taken multi-vit's, etc... and it takes up to 2 months to feel a little boost from it if any. If anyone can stick to TRULY eating healthy for a week, then switch back to the norm foods, you will feel the difference in your energy, mood, emotions, thoughts, etc.

Closed Thread