It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
(male)

punkiishmob HB User
I want to stop Advair.. any substitutions?

I have noticed a slight change in my asthma attacks, as they havent been this bad before.

My asthma usually occurs at night. Every morning I take a Singulair, Vitamin C pill, and VITE mixed pill.. I usually take my advair at night because that's mainly the only time I get asthma symptoms.

After hearing all the controversy with Advair being a risk for asthma-related death (i have allergic asthma), I want to stop using it.

I liked Advair at night because it didn't keep me up or my heart beating and I could go to sleep.

Are there any supplements or substitutions I should talk to my doctor about that can give me an easy breath at night without the insomnia?

I still have my Xopenex HFA handy, but that makes me jittery.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: I want to stop Advair.. any substitutions?

I don't know about substitutions, but I might suggest you talk to your doctor about the time of day you are taking your Singular. For allergies, it is recommended to take it in the morning. For asthma, it is recommended to take it in the evening for it to be most effective. I have been told this by both my doctor and my pharmacist. In fact, they now put a sticker on the prescription bottle to take it in the evenings.

Also, if you do continue to use Advair it is usually prescribed for twice a day. If that is how your doctor prescribed it, that is how you should take it for it to be effective. All dosages of Advair should be taken regularly for it to be most effective.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
(male)

john319 HB User

Talk to your doctor about Asmanex. I switched to it in October last year and it is a very good replacement (at least for me). I had wanted to change from Advair when I heard something in it aggravates the larnyx reflux I also have. Then later when I heard like you about the asthma-related deaths attributed to Advair, I was overjoyed about the switch.

Last edited by john319; 06-24-2007 at 06:22 PM. Reason: misspelling

Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The Advair deaths are generally in African Americans as there is a component which they seem not to be able to tolerate. I asked my doctor and that's what he told me - he will not prescribe Advair for an African American because of this.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
(female)

DITAB HB User

After taking QVAR for a couple of years I found it not at all effective -- in fact I feel as if it made me worse.
Yesterday the doctor prescribed Azmanex.
I know some of you have used it and I'm wondering if it is considered effective at least compared to Advair or some of the more popular ones.
I'm to take two sprays a day.
I would appreciate hearing about anyone's experience with this med.
Thank you.
Ditab

Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
(male)

john319 HB User

Ditab,

I have been on Asmanex since last October and for me it is a great med. I take 2 puffs in the AM and 2 in the PM and it has been very good for me. It takes on average 1-2 weeks for it to start working. I was on Advair but then when I heard something in it irritates my larynx reflux and then I heard about the deaths, I asked my dr to switch to something else. He switched me to Asmanex. I have not experienced any side effects, though keep in mind everyone's body chemistry is different. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread