It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

jml48039 HB User
Re: Anyone Using Herbal/Non-Medical Approach to Fight Asthma?

To anyone that believes modern medicine is the only thing that helps asthma: I have had asthma my whole life. I would have an asthma attack at least twice a year. and always was coughing. Almost died from it in 1994, at that time I was on 8 different medications and the doctor wanted to put me on long term prednizone(spellwrong). In 2000 I lost my health insurance and could not afford the almost $2000 a month in medication. So I went cold turkey. I had no choice. I was taking caffeine when I felt restriction too much. Used salt water in my nebilazor. I have not had an asthma attack since. I still have a cough, but I am getting better through liver cleanses..Fasting...So if you ever want you or your loved one to get better. research about all energy approaches, herbs, homepathic modalities. Modern medicine is about the pharm. companies making money off of your disease. They don't want you getting better.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
(female)

jml48039 HB User

PS Inhaled steroids enter your blood stream faster because it is delivered into the blood streamer by your breath..Think about how you get nicotine into your blood stream, you breathe it in. The doctors are just repeating the stuff the drug companies tell them. bio 101. blood gets its oxyen from your lungs. If you breath steriods in, it goes into your lungs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
(female)

Megygrl HB User

Have you tried garlic pills? My mother had a persistent asthmatic cough for
twenty five years. Garlic pills cured it. It is a cure for many conditions.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
(female)

ariom99 HB User

Hi, I am in Australia, and was diagnosed with asthma 4years ago. I did some research and found a natural remedy called Respitrol. I have it delivered from America, and I am amazed at the difference it has made to my Asthma. I still use my preventer but don't need to use my ventolin during the day, and my peak flow has improved over the month I have been using Respitrol. I would recommend anyone to research it and give it a try. The company offers a money back guarantee, so there is nothing to lose, and all the ingredients are common and easily researched.
Hope this helps someone!

Old 05-31-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

Quote:
There are some problems though. Unpredictability: the herbs don't always work, and then we have to use albuterol and occasionally even prednisone (once last April, once this past March). Then there is the emotional pressure of other peoples' reactions to this approach, which are often quite negative. Also, you have to coordinate between the alternative practitioner and the regular pediatrician, which can be a difficult balancing act, placing a lot of responsibility on the parent.
Funny how people can be against something they have no idea about. I mean, Chinese medicine has been around for 5000 years, and like every human, whether they are Asian or white, it really depends on your doctor, some are more knowledgeable then others.

I have heard of asthma being cured by holistic doctors, something that never happened to me, I have been on steroids for 20 years, and each year my asthma only gets worse. As a child I had had so many learning difficulties, and behavior problems, I was always agitated, and now as an adult my body is falling apart because of these drugs I have to take everyday so I can breath. Every side effect that is listed with the medication. Has happened to me.
Quote:
All three books are by MD's who use supplements (vitamins etc.)and try to reduce the use of the usual asthma meds.
The thing is reduce, some people here think that parents are so stupid that they would just take their children off the medication and try new approaches to cure the asthma as if their children were a lab rat. And for some reason I can’t believe anyone here is like that. if you are taking your emergency inhaler too much, you need to look for new ways to control asthma. I am totally pro the holistic approach, that DOES NOT mean I think you should stop taking all the medicine you have, chuck it in the garbage and start a holistic one. No,

But there is nothing wrong with trying new things that have been proven to do this or that, because there are like 50 different kinds of inhalers, I know my whole childhood I was on this or that, I don’t even know what they were I just said “ I have tried the brown one, the purple one, the green one, the red one, the orange one the black one the Burgandy one.” And so on… they all do different things they all have different medications in them, and they all have different side effects. Some may be mild and some may be serious. I know because I have never taken an inhaler and not experienced Many many different side effects. They are all proven that they work for some people. But not everyone, why do you think they make so many, why do you think your doctor is always trying new ones until you find the right one. Your doctor does the same thing, they may treat you like a lab rat, and doctors don’t spend the time to communicate everything to you. And if you do not see results right away, then it doesn’t work. then is 20 years ago, I took what they told me, and even though it didn't work, I kept taking it. and its not a good idea to keep taking something that doesn't work, because you can BREATH. like last week, my doctor gave me advair a new preventive inhaler, I never stopped taking my Ventolin when I needed it, the thing is doctors are trying to find ways to prevent asthma attacks, so you don’t need your Ventolin.
And if you want to try the holistic way, then why not. Because some people are not so lucky to find the right medication right away. I know becasue I tried every color of inhaler and none of them worked, but advair seems to work, But it gives me such bad side affects I cannot function. And that causes me not to do my job, and is interfering with my daily life. and they all have stariods.

If your asthma gets better and better, then you take less and less preventer whatever that may be. Weather it is steroids, or holistic. and if it doen't get better then you keep taking it for the rest of your life, as long as you can breath, And always have your emergency inhaler in your cabinet in case of emergency. There is nothing wrong with finding new ways of preventing asthma attacks. And I know for a fact it is not good to keep taking too much of your emergency inhaler, because all MY doctors say that, you should never have to keep taking you’re Ventolin every day. And that is why your doctor keeps putting you on new preventive medications, “control” the asthma.

Last edited by miyu; 05-31-2007 at 01:33 AM.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:06 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

Quote:
I would NEVER be able to do any aerobic exercise nor would i be able to even laugh.... given that bleak lifestyle i'll am sure happy there is flovent so that i can laugh my self silly, ice skate , paint, a couple of years ago i had a great snowball fight with my kids.... for the first time in my life i ran and laughed in the snow with out one bit of pain, or shortness of breath!!!! and i have "mild asthma!!!! For me i'll NEVER go back to the aviodance lifestyle - life is to be lived NOT avioded.
I know your banned, but I'm still responding to you,
You talked about your mother trying herbal things that did nothing for you, causing your childhood to be very difficult, and now you are resentful, but that was 40 years ago, and there are different types of asthma, many different types of asthmatics that is why there are so many different types of preventive medication, and they are still coming out with new things.

I was put on flovent as a child as well as a bunch of other stuff, and like you, I am also jaded because my childhood was completely messed up because of not knowing how to control my asthma. Nothing worked, and I have taken so much steroids that today I have TONES of medical problems, So they are not GREAT medications with very little side effects, and they have not been around long enough IMO. 25 yeas is not long enough. they are only great for some people. And some people don’t experience any side effects. But that doesn’t not account for everyone. I still have asthma attacks nearly everyday. However if I take advair, I can do things like play with my children, and clean the house.. but that is not good enough for me. And that is not good enough for my doctor. And I am going to try a new holistic way, and get off these steroids I have been on my entire life, because I have only found my asthma get worse and worse over the years. And I know this is what needs to get out of my body.
I think that is great that your asthma is under control, if only we were all like you. I do not blame my mother and I do not blame the doctors.. but there are still many people here who cannot get there asthma under control with western medication, and that is why this post was made to try different things. And I know many doctors who’s choice of doctor is a holistic doctor.

If it wasn’t for posts like this then many children may also suffer as I did. And I have heard of asthma being CURED by holistic medication. Asthma attacks stop coming, and then the doctor, slowly take them off of the preventive, then even off the preventive they still have no asthma attacks. Steroids cannot do that as mentioned in many of the above posts, all they can do is slow down the inflammation, as you said “The true cause of the inflammation is unknown at this point so it is rather difficult to treat it.” but as soon as you stop taking your Folvent, asthma comes back. Because the disease has not been cured. You would be surprised how many diseases doctors don’t know how to cure that people have taken it upon themselves, and have cured themselves. There are many. And I’m not saying, go and try whatever you can, experiment on your own. no. I'm saying if westren medication is not working, see a holistic doctor, they are professionals and can give you the right things as well as the right dose’s, and they spend hours with you if they need to, to find the Underlining cause.

Most regular doctors, just want to make a quick $40 per visit, at least here In my city. They don’t spend any time with you, they say its because there is to many people to see, all of my doctor’s appointments are only 5 min long, if they spent more time with me, then I wouldn’t have to keep coming back. how can they know anything about me in 5 min? They just keep seeing me as a statistic and experimenting new things on me. Wow , I could never understand what it would be like making $40 every 10 min.

but anyway, I think I made my point clear.

Last edited by miyu; 06-02-2007 at 10:53 PM.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
(female)

pollytex HB User

The less medicine you can take the better. This is my experience. Factors that affect breathing for me:

Eliminations/constipation (this makes a big difference)
I go mostly non-dairy
Eat mostly whole foods, as much fruit and veggies as possible
No red meat, no pork, small amounts of fowl, fish and eggs
Drink lots of water
Stay away from pastries, candy, refined sugar.
A raw salad of some kind every day
Exercise in the fresh air every day if possible, does not have to be active or strenuous, walking is okay. If you can't get out in the fresh air, walk around the Mall or Wallmart
Chi Qong (a form of Tai Chi) and Yoga are helpful. Pick and choose which help you. The shoulderstand really works well for me.
Milkthistle extract really seems to help.
Take Calcium and Magnesium supplements.

I use the albuterol inhaler. I have my doubts about the idea of going on systemic medications. Have tried them. Have noticed in friends and associates that their doctors keep adding new medications, but they still have to use the old ones. My experience with systemic meds and other inhalents is that my body quickly adapts to them, they are hard to get off of, and they can cause other problems.

Have recently taken up golf. It is a great form of exercise, because I can control the level of exertion depending on how I feel that day. It allows short bursts of activity followed by brief resting periods, so the respiratory system gets a chance to catch up.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I believe in the holistic way. I mean, think about it, we are all different. It only makes sense to look at the "whole person" instead of just prescribing this and that in a cookie cutter fashion. I have asthma, am overweight, have issues with yeast, sugar, and wheat. I think there is a pattern here. So, I am taking my health in my own hands and am educating myself on Candida Yeast syndrome, trying to cut out the sugar, dairy, and bread, have a plan to lose the weight. I will see then how my asthma is affected by these changes. No doctor has EVER even suggested I do these things. I will still use my Advair, but I have cut down. Instead of twice a day, I only use it every other day - once a day. So far, it has worked for me.
Cindy

Old 06-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
(female)

pollytex HB User

Dear Howitt44:

Congratulations on your plan. I have found "baby steps" work very well - just making a few small changes at a time, if they are changes I can live with.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
(female)

LeahStorm HB User
Thumbs up Re: Anyone Using Herbal/Non-Medical Approach to Fight Asthma?

I totally agree with this approach, and am going to print this out and follow it. I have used flovent for years, and I have a puffy face, and get extremely tired. My joints ache all the time and I'm tired of it, so I'm moving on to the whole foods plan. I'm too young to feel this run down - actually, I hope to never feel this run down at any age. I'll repost in a month or two to report my results. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to help others via these message boards.
Leah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollytex View Post
The less medicine you can take the better. This is my experience. Factors that affect breathing for me:

Eliminations/constipation (this makes a big difference)
I go mostly non-dairy
Eat mostly whole foods, as much fruit and veggies as possible
No red meat, no pork, small amounts of fowl, fish and eggs
Drink lots of water
Stay away from pastries, candy, refined sugar.
A raw salad of some kind every day
Exercise in the fresh air every day if possible, does not have to be active or strenuous, walking is okay. If you can't get out in the fresh air, walk around the Mall or Wallmart
Chi Qong (a form of Tai Chi) and Yoga are helpful. Pick and choose which help you. The shoulderstand really works well for me.
Milkthistle extract really seems to help.
Take Calcium and Magnesium supplements.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
(female)

LeahStorm HB User

Cindy,
My dr. told me that my adrenal gland was underactive, so he gave me adrenal supplements, and magnesium. A few times, I've gone in for a shot that helps me. He makes a little cocktail of vitamin B's, adrenal, magnesium and shoots both cheeks! The first time he did that for me, I had no need for any asthma med for 5 days. Having gone from puffing ventolin 8x a day to zero was quite an improvement!
He explained that people with under-active adrenal glands also crave sugar and salt. I thought wow - did he know I could live off brownies and over-salted popcorn? When I remember to take all my vitamins, and avoid sugar, salt and dairy, I feel a whole lot better. It's just a matter of making that a habit. Commitment is rough, I do love the brownies, but I think I enjoy breathing just a bit more.
Leah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitt44 View Post
I believe in the holistic way. I mean, think about it, we are all different. It only makes sense to look at the "whole person" instead of just prescribing this and that in a cookie cutter fashion. I have asthma, am overweight, have issues with yeast, sugar, and wheat. I think there is a pattern here. So, I am taking my health in my own hands and am educating myself on Candida Yeast syndrome, trying to cut out the sugar, dairy, and bread, have a plan to lose the weight. I will see then how my asthma is affected by these changes. No doctor has EVER even suggested I do these things. I will still use my Advair, but I have cut down. Instead of twice a day, I only use it every other day - once a day. So far, it has worked for me.
Cindy

Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
(female)

E.K HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariom99 View Post
Hi, I am in Australia, and was diagnosed with asthma 4years ago. I did some research and found a natural remedy called Respitrol. I have it delivered from America, and I am amazed at the difference it has made to my Asthma. I still use my preventer but don't need to use my ventolin during the day, and my peak flow has improved over the month I have been using Respitrol. I would recommend anyone to research it and give it a try. The company offers a money back guarantee, so there is nothing to lose, and all the ingredients are common and easily researched.
Hope this helps someone!
Thanks for the info. I'm from Sydney and have been having some problems with my asthma in the past 7 months especially since we moved to an older suburb of Sydney and have been renting a 60 year old house. We've had so much rain this year so I think it's a combination of mould and living in an old house. I would love to try a natural remedy so I don't have to rely on my Ventolin so much.

Last edited by E.K; 06-18-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Closed Thread