It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

lilybelle96 HB User
Pulmicort Flexhaler - Anyone have side effects?

I have been on the Pulmicort Turbohaler for over 4 years and loved it. No side effects as far as I noticed. But about 3 weeks ago when my 90-year old mother became hospitalized and I began spending time with her at the hospital, I had a flare-up of asthma. This was unusual for me, for with Pulmicort Turbohaler I had been stabilized for a long time. I noticed my Turbohaler was close to being empty, so I went to get a refill. Found out there was a new Pulmicort "Flexhaler". The druggist told me the only new addition was lactose.

When I started using the Flexhaler, I began experiencing rapid heartbeat, feelings of panic, pain in my chest and back. I was worried enough to go in to see my doctor. I was given an EKG, which showed no heart attack. The nurse gave me a breathing treatment (my first), which was breathing in liquid albuterol for 5 minutes. It helped loosen the tightness in my chest. This was 2 days ago, and I'm afraid of using the Flexhaler again. I've been using albuterol a couple of times a day to get by. I know I'm going to have to start taking something long-term, but I am afraid of the Flexhaler.

Has anyone else used the new Pulmicort Flexhaler? How did you like it?

Old 08-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
(female)

MISSYJOY HB User
Re: Pulmicort Flexhaler - Anyone have side effects?

I had the same side effects from using Asmacort...don't know if the chemical is the same as your Pulmicort. Notice that I am morely likely to get the side effect if I breathe in REAL deeply and it lasts about an hour. Am new to these steroid inhalers (had to get off asmanex after about 2 weeks due to this side effect) and was afraid to really breathe in deeply until I made sure I had no side effects. Also find that I feel lousy if I use it the maximum times per day prescribed. Started with only 2 puffs/day and tried to increase to 4 but the scarey feeling prevented me from doing that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
(female)

lilybelle96 HB User

What are you using now? How does it make you feel?

I am wondering about should I call my doctor and ask for something else. I sure do hate it that they discontinued the Pulmicort Turbohaler. I didn't have any trouble with it at all.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
(female)

MISSYJOY HB User

Seems as though my asthma is caused by allergy to grass and the season is over, so I stopped using everything the last couple of days and waiting to see if I have symptoms (heaviness in chest seems to be the worst). If I still have symptoms I will go back to the asmacort but cut the dose back.

I also have problems with the new albuterol (the one that's "safe" for the ozone) so I'm going to use a nebulizer if I need a rescue inhaler. If none of this works I'll call the allergist and ask for something else. Guess some people have to go through lots of drugs before finding what works. Only was diagnosed a few months ago.

Have found with some side effects, sometimes it takes weeks before they materialize. Find that rather surprising, but true.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:02 AM   #5
(female)

lilybelle96 HB User

I have had asthma for about 10 years. It took a while until I found what worked for me and what didn't. The best thing I did was to start taking allergy shots. I took them faithfully for 3 years and by the time I finished, I was much better and had few flare-ups.

I hope you find some medication that works for you and which has few side effects.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

asth_mom HB User

I also took the old pulmacort and actually was told the new one was not different, yet now I can't breathe...I find myself using the rescue inhaler now on a regular basis when before I never had to use it while on the 200mcg pulmacort. I am now on 180 mcg and am always out of breath. On top of that the new albuteral changed too, now they use HFA instead of CFC (is that right spelling?) anyway the new albuteral I had serious side effects heart racing, but the worst part is I got no relief, so I had to take more and it still didn't help. I researched it and found some places still have the old albuteral, so I have refilled my prescription and now at least I have some relief..although I have been told that by Dec 08 it will not be around anymore.. I just don't know how I will breathe come the end of this year.. scary...
PS: Doc just prescribed ASMANEX, haven't tried it yet, they first told me Qvar80 and after reading the side effects I said no, I am so scared to try something new.. Please help.. what is as safe as the old Pulmacort yet works as well? Having a hard time here.. thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
(female)

Buffalo Gal HB User

Well, I'm not happy about it. I did fine on the Turbuhaler. But you know, the manufacturer is making out like a bandit. Less medication, less doses = more refills. More refills = more profits. I take one puff a day. The first couple of days, I didn't notice anything. This is about the 5th day, and today I have a lousy taste in my mouth. Can't get rid of it. Something else...They added Lactose, who knows why. What are the asthmatics who are lactose intolerant supposed to do? There were no warnings on the package. I could see someone who didn't know, ending up in the emergency room because they inhaled something they were allergic to. When you couple this with the new Albuterol inhalers, it's a really bad situation for asthmatics.

Closed Thread