It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
(female)

bethintn HB User
Question My 7 year old w/ asthma .. coughing, coughing, coughing

My 7 year old son was diagnosed with asthma when he was about 9 months old. He's only had 1 acute exacerbation since then that was bad enough that we had to go to the ER. He's been fairly well controlled. He used to only have to take asthma meds in the winter time or when he was sick with a cold or bronchitis, but he's been on maintenance meds (Pulmicort inhaler and Singulair) constantly since last December because his asthma was uncontrolled with constant coughing since this time last year. Every time the ped. would try to take him off of them, he'd cough and cough, so she'd put him back on them. Finally she just said to stay on them. We never miss a dose. 2 days ago he ran a low-grade temp and had cold symptoms, the fever and symptoms are gone but the cough is just getting worse. His cough has progressively increased over the weekend. It's dry and hacking, and sometimes sounds like he is having bronchial spasms. We've been using albuterol nebulizer treatments every 4-6 hours for 2 days. It doesn't seem to help at all. I know usually these coughs get worse at night, but when he lays down to go to sleep, he hardly coughs. As soon as he awakens, he starts coughing. The past couple of hours the cough has been really bad. I don't hear any wheezing, and I don't think he's having post-nasal drip. I thought maybe I could add an antihistamine such as Benadryl and see if that helps until we get in to see his doctor tomorrow. Can you take Benadryl with Singulair? I can't find any information about interactions between the two. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am a nurse, but have no experience with pediatrics.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
(male)

Levi212 HB User
Re: My 7 year old w/ asthma .. coughing, coughing, coughing

Is the problem in your air perhaps? Asthma can be triggered by particles in your air. Perhaps you could look into improving your air quality? If you look up air quality, I'm know some good websites come up.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Levi212; 10-08-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
(female)

melba33 HB User

Howdy! Same thing here with my 12 year old only she coughs all the time even at night. She's on pulmicort,nasonex and the albuterol inhaler. Nothing seems to work all she does is cough her head off. She only does it once a year usually Jan. or Feb. but it takes her several weeks to get over it. Hope your 7 year old gets better and let me know if you find the trick I don't know what to do.
Mel

Old 04-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
(female)

mwall75 HB User

You posted this awhile go so I'm not sure if you found a solution to your childs cough. I wanted to tell you what has worked for my 7 year old son. He has the same nasty cough as well. But when he takes his meds he does really well and does not cough unless we forget a day and he goes without. When he first started with the singulair it did nothing for him but when the doc added zyrtec it really worked. So now he takes his singulair pill in the morning and his zyrtec at night and it works great. He also has an inhaler for just in case but rarely uses it. My son has no post nasel drip or wheezing just a darn chocking cough non stop!!! But the 2 meds together have really worked for him. Singulair is not an antihistamine. So you could give your son an antihistamine with the singulair. Try adding the zyrtec it is sold over the counter now. My son's asthma is brought on by his allergies so the zyrtec helps with the allergy part while the singulair helps with the asthma.good luck

Closed Thread