It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
(male)

Dday110 HB User
Singulair and Colds

Hey everybody,
So within the past few months I began taking Singulair and It works alright with the asthma. The only problem is that i keep on getting colds. It's like one cold, then get over it, but within a 2 days another cold and on and on. Now I do get my share of colds every year but never like this. Has anybody experienced anything similiar to this with the use of singulair? or does anybody know if a side effect of singulair is a weakened immune system?

Thanks in advance :]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
(female)

DITAB HB User
Re: Singulair and Colds

I can speak from my personal experience with Singulair. I tried it two different times and each time develped severe bronchitis -- something very unusual for me.
I'm covinced that Singulair can be very detrimental to some people.
Ditab

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
(male)

Dday110 HB User

i think im going to stop taking it, what alternative do you use?

Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
(female)

Gabby2007 HB User

I've been taking Singular for about 2 months - haven't had any colds.

The book I've been reading (by the Harvard Medical School asthma docs) says that the leukotriene blockers (of which Singular is one) "are virtually free of undesirable side effects", and works well as a controller for mild asthma. A different option is an inhaled steroid, particularly for people with moderate/severe persistent asthma. They are more frequently effective, but do have the risk of side effects such as oral thrush.

Incidentally, I have severe persistent asthma. I use Singular, Asmanex (at the highest dose possible), Xopenex, and 2 prescription nose sprays. As I said, I don't have any side effects that I've noticed.

Last edited by Gabby2007; 11-20-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
(male)

Dday110 HB User

I dont know what to do...
Some people say it had side effects, some people dont, but it helps my asthma alot, on the other hand i have never had so many colds in my life and my asthma is the pits when i have colds.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
(female)

Gabby2007 HB User

Why don't you ask your asthma doctor what to do? It's possible that your colds are just coincidence, or maybe caused by something else. At any rate, if you *do* quit Singular, you should probably switch to something else - you'd need your doc for that anyway.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
(male)

Dday110 HB User

thats true, but my parents never bring me to the doctor..

Old 12-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #8
(female)

Galaxy_Sug HB User

The only complaint that I have about singulair is that I cant forget to take a dose or my symptoms act up again. I don't have an asthma diagnosis (and am not sure if I want one due to the whole insurance issues), but my doctor still put me on it to see if it would help. I usually take it in the morning everyday, but if I accidently forget to take a does my symptoms flare up and I have to use my inhaler. I am just affraid of the day I will no longer be able to afford Singulair. At that rate I would be using my inhaler ever day almost (like I was in the begining). Medications are so flusterating....

Old 02-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
(female)

lisanew HB User

Dday110:
Just read your post and wanted to offer a suggestion. My 8-yr-old son takes Pulmicort. I'm researching Singular which is why I'm posting. I have found that giving him Airborne has strengthened his immune system and hasn't interfered with his meds. It's an OTC that was invented by a schoolteacher. You might try it or add more Vitamin C to your diet. Good luck!

Closed Thread