It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dazedandconfused10 HB User
Asthma and high fever

I have a sort of dumb question. I'm not a typical asthmatic, its pretty much under control, its the cough variant but when I get an URI, I'm done for. Yesterday my fever got over 104, and for the first time I really felt like I was drowning and/or not getting air. My heart was pounding, pressure in my chest and I was exhausted. I'm still weak today but I wonder if I should have gone to an ER. I used albuterol a bunch of times, I don't remember how much. I hesitated to say anything because I have a 7 year old who I did not want to scare and a husband who believes in toughing everything out. He's very helpful with my son but didn't seem concerned. I'm improving but I don't think I ever felt like that before and was wondering what others would do?

Old 12-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Asthma and high fever

You need to go to the doctors or the ER. Men are always thinkin we need to buck it up, suck it up or whatever up. But in this day and age with SARS and MRSA and gosh who knows what all! You need to get yourself in and and get treated. With that high of a fever you for sure have an infection going on...pneumonia perhaps? Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
(female)

Gabby2007 HB User

A fever that high can be dangerous - go to ER.

Your doctor should tell you what to do when you get URIs - what to do when your peak flow numbers hit a certain point, etc.

It's fine for your dh to "tough it out" if he doesn't have asthma. But that can be a dangerous thing for someone with a condition like asthma to do. Perhaps he should come with you to the doc's next time you get checked for a little asthma education - learn how to help you when you get sick, how to be supportive.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dazedandconfused10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby2007 View Post
A fever that high can be dangerous - go to ER.

Your doctor should tell you what to do when you get URIs - what to do when your peak flow numbers hit a certain point, etc.

It's fine for your dh to "tough it out" if he doesn't have asthma. But that can be a dangerous thing for someone with a condition like asthma to do. Perhaps he should come with you to the doc's next time you get checked for a little asthma education - learn how to help you when you get sick, how to be supportive.
Thanks Gabby, the odd part, was my peak flows had been lower but I was reallly struggling and I imagine the temp was part of it. Problem is I have two chronic illnesses, a hx of a broken neck- so chronic pain syndrome maybe fibromyalgia which has been a waste basket dx for so many and now asthma. The fibro is a major inconvenience but rarely "serious" I should have just called my dr and saw what they thought about an ambulance, I could not drive safely. The fact that he thinks he knows more about dr's in most cases makes it really hard to get through. He's verbally pushy and stupid me I let him intimidate me. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You should get with your asthma doc about a protocol for when you are sick. Rather than continue to use the albuterol, you probably should adjust your daily meds to help counter the effects of the illness. When I get sick - fever, cold, etc - I got from 1 puff of Flovent a day to 2 puffs -or more if that doesn't do the trick. Then go back to the 1 puff when well.

Closed Thread