It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

mary010 HB User
Question asthma causing seizures

Hello, I am new to this board and I am wanting to know if anyone out there has ever heard of asthma causing seizures. My daughter is 17 now and has been having seizures off and on since she was a year old. Drs have given different opions and diagnoses for it. When she was 1 year I was told she had breath holding attacks and that she would out grow them. When she was 12 she had one day surgery and coming out of the anesthesia she began seizing. The doctor on staff treated her with the common seizure medicine that begins with a d but it did not work. He transferred her to our local childrens hospital. There I was told they were pseudoseizures. The neurologist began getting nosy and was wanting to know what was going on at home. said stress caused the seizure how could it she was waking up from one day surgery. Any way we got through that. the seizure activity lasted about a month off and on. Then again when she was 15 seizure activity began again. Drs have been puzzled. eegs show no epilepsy, which is good, but not good not knowing what is causing them. The latest diagnose has been , a pulmonary function test showed difinitive signs of asthma. We were told that this could be the cause of her seizures. when she has an asthma attack it limits the oxygen to her brain thus causing a seizure. Has any one else ever heard of this? This is new to me. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: asthma causing seizures

I'm not an authority by any means but I've never heard of this or been cautioned about it since I developed asthma 15 years ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

Marge28 HB User
Re: asthma causing seizures

Well, I'm 28 years old and also succeptible to seizures. I've had 4 seizures in a period of 5 years. I believe my episodes are triggered by extreme abdominal pain such as menstral cramps and/or diaherra. I've been through all the tests and it came back normal. My doctor mentioned something about it probably being pseudoseizures. I've done some reading on pseudoseizures and it being triggered by psychological influences. But I am not stressed out or anything. I'm not depressed or unhappy about my life....except maybe not getting any answers about what is happening with me.

Closed Thread