It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

Nettie92 HB User
How long before prednisone works for asthma

How long before prednisone works for asthma. I am having a severe flare-up due to a very high pollen count in my area. I have taken 60 mgm of prednisone for 3 days with no relief. I also take Pulmicort twice a day and use my albuterol inhaler at least twice a day. I am supposed to decrease my prednisone to 40 mgm for the next 3 days and then down to 20 mgm for 3 days and then stop,,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: How long before prednisone works for asthma

If you're 3 days into the prednisone and haven't had any relief you should probably call your doctor - for me it typically has an effect within 24 hours.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
(female)

dizzymommy HB User

I agree, it should start working right away. Are you taking an antihistamine to help thwart the initial reaction?? I would definitely check with your doctor.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
(female)

Nettie92 HB User

Thanks for your messages. I just started taking Claritin along with the prednisone and my symptoms seem to be getting better. At least I am getting some sleep at night. I found out that the pollen count is very high in the area of Florida we are staying. I guess I am allergic to cypress and Juniper! Never been exposed to these trees before as I live in the Northeast. I wonder if I should see an allergist. Has anyone had this kind of a problem with such a severe flare-up with pollen? My asthma is usually well controlled.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

After living in the Southwest all my life and coming to Virginia a few years back I had no clue what the yellow stuff on my car in April was. I can't handle pollen usually end up with an upper respiratory infect during the month of April.

Please becareful coming down from predsizone and follow the script it tells you exactly how to take that medication.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
(female)

Nettie92 HB User

I'm just beginning to taper down the prednisone to 20 mgm for 3 days and then I stop. I wonder how I will be when I'm completely off this medication. I still feel congested with alot of post-nasal drip, especially at night. The pollen count here today is 10 on a scale of 1 to 12!! I'm afraid to go outside. Does anyone have any suggestions about any remedy for post-nasal drip that seems to make my lung congestion worse..

Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
(female)

Buffalo Gal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettie92 View Post
I'm just beginning to taper down the prednisone to 20 mgm for 3 days and then I stop. I wonder how I will be when I'm completely off this medication. I still feel congested with alot of post-nasal drip, especially at night. The pollen count here today is 10 on a scale of 1 to 12!! I'm afraid to go outside. Does anyone have any suggestions about any remedy for post-nasal drip that seems to make my lung congestion worse..
You say you're taking Claritin. Have you tried Claritin-D? It's helped me tremendously, and that decongestant may be what you need.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
(female)

acprivra HB User

Do you take any nasal sprays? I take a steriod nasal spray and that seems to help a lot with my allergies/asthma issues, including post nasal drip.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
(female)

Nettie92 HB User

Thanks for the messages and advice. I just got a prescription for a nasal spray - Fluticasone 50mcg. (May be a generic for Flonase). I'm also using Pulmacort twice a day and have 2 more days of prednisone before I'm tapered off. I wonder if taking this much prednisone in the inhaler and nose spray is ok. Seems like alot. I've not tried the Claritin-D. It is worth a try. I have also taken Benedryl as needed through out the day. Seems to help somewhat, but doesn't last long.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
(female)

acprivra HB User

I had the same question when they put me on it last year. For a while there I was on 40 of prednisone, a nasal spray and Advair 500/50 daily. I have been told that since they put us on prednisone for a shorter time that it shouldn't be a problem. Also, the nasal sprays typically don't have too much steriod in them.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
(female)

Nettie92 HB User

I am so discouraged!! I started with a severe sore throat last night (couldn't swallow even water) and called my Dr. this am. Seems now I have a fungus that is most probably caused by steroids. He told me to continue to use the Pulmicort and Flonase. Fortunately, I am just tapering the prednisone so have only one more day... Can't seem to beat this thing. Trying to keep up my spirits, but it's getting really hard.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
(male)

Capttom48 HB UserCapttom48 HB User

I'm so sorry that you are still having difficulty. Advair can be rough sometimes. It made me hoarse for awhile but I seem to have adjusted to it. I also take flonase, as well as zyrtec, protonix, zyflo cr and things still seem to come along and cause me problems.
I have a "bug" of some sort currently and it has cause my asthma to flare. I'm now taking an antibiotic (levaquin) and am on a 10 day taper of prednisone. I'm on day 2 and between the antibiotic and the pred I am feeling much better. I hope that you feel better soon.
Tom

Old 02-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I am so sorry that you all are suffering so much. Having to take so many different medications every day and STILL not feeling better must just be awful.

I could not take Advair - the side effects for me were intolerable.

It makes me angry for you that your Drs. do not seem more concerned with how bad you are suffering and how bad your breathing is.

No appointment with the Pulm until MAY?? How can they make you wait that long when you are suffering so badly - that is so unfair.

Do any of the Drs. think perhaps a medication switch may be in order?

I will pray for you ALL and hope that you feel better SO SOON..

Vanessa

Closed Thread