It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
(female)

Monkey7935 HB User
Exclamation Asthma And Bronchitis

I woke up this morning in a full blown attack, even was vomiting from coughing to hard. Per doctor instructions I went to the ER. It turns out all my coughing I've had all along is acute bronchitis. Has anyone ever had this before? Does it normally trigger asthma attacks? It's my first time for bronchitis ever, and I'm not sure on what to really do nor understand it all. Does anyone have any tips to nip both my asthma and acute bronchitis in the tush?

Old 02-23-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
(female)

sensitivesoul8 HB User
Re: Asthma And Bronchitis

Bronchitis can definitely cause an attack. That's what happened to me a few weeks ago. Usually they will give you an antibiotic, in addition to a burst of steroids to decrease the inflammation. It takes a few weeks to recover, unfortunately. Even when your body is feeling better, the cough will probably linger for a little while longer. It sucks! I hope you feel better soon!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
(female)

Monkey7935 HB User

Thanks for the help. Do you know if its contagious? I got kids to worry about. You said it takes a couple weeks, gosh I'm in this forever then. I'm also a diabetic, and it takes diabetics longer to kick something in the system out. They gave me amoxicillin. Any doctor hates me when it comes time to put me on antibiotics. I'm allergic to most of them. There are only two we know of I can take so far lol... amoxicillin and smz (the septra one). I have had trouble with my asthma for a couple weeks here, so I am already on prednisone, promethizine dm syrup, cough drops, nebulizer 4 times a day and more if needed, and something called mucinx. Did you get a pharmacy with it too? I feel like I am lol.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Monkey,
I am sorry to hear you are feeling so bad.

I can empathise with the vomiting from the coughing. Not fun at all. I haven't had bronchitis, but I have had upper respertory infections that have triggered asthma attacks. For me the solution is a good dose of antibiotics along with extra focus on the asthma, like Prednisone or a Medrol Pack. I am allergic to some antibiotics too. Typically I start with a high dose Augmentin for an extended period. Mucinex is really helpful too if you have alot of mucus. While I might find some relief quickly, it usually takes me several weeks to begin feeling better. When sinus infections are my trigger, it can take a couple months.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
(female)

sensitivesoul8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey7935 View Post
Thanks for the help. Do you know if its contagious? I got kids to worry about. You said it takes a couple weeks, gosh I'm in this forever then. I'm also a diabetic, and it takes diabetics longer to kick something in the system out. They gave me amoxicillin. Any doctor hates me when it comes time to put me on antibiotics. I'm allergic to most of them. There are only two we know of I can take so far lol... amoxicillin and smz (the septra one). I have had trouble with my asthma for a couple weeks here, so I am already on prednisone, promethizine dm syrup, cough drops, nebulizer 4 times a day and more if needed, and something called mucinx. Did you get a pharmacy with it too? I feel like I am lol.
Yeah, it seems that way LOL A few months ago I was given methylprednisolone, a cough syrup, z-pack, then levaquin when the z-pack didn't work, some decongestant in addition to the 4 asthma meds I usually take. A few weeks ago I was just given the z-pack, prednisone and a nebulizer.

Bronchitis shouldn't be contagious once you're on an antibiotic for a day or so. Have your kids take airborne! I hope u feel better soon!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
(female)

latinachic84 HB User

Bronchitis can cause asthma attacks for sure. Last year right after I was diagnosed with asthma I got bronchitis twice back to back. It takes a few weeks to recover. It took me about a month to recover from each one. It was rought and I still had a constant cough afterwards for a few months. I still have a cough but not as frequent and its just due to my asthma.

Closed Thread