It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
(male)

john319 HB User
Post Metoprolol and other beta blockers

My general dr switched my BP medicine to Metoprolol, the generic version of beta blocker Toprol. I am on the lowest dose of this medicine, 25 mg. I started taking it March 1 and since then I've had more asthma epsiodes and symptoms (chest tightness, and lower peak flow meter readings.)

I have heard beta blockers especially at higher doses can instigate asthma. Even though I am at Metprolol's lowest dosage, perhaps even this dose is affecting my asthma. I will be discussing this my pulmonary dr at my next appointment early next week. I was wondering if anyone has had their asthma act up after using Metoprolol or other beta blockers.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Re: Metoprolol and other beta blockers

Hello John319,

That happened to me as well. I had mild, well controlled asthma - 5 years ago I was put on Toprol - starting at 25mgs for HBP. Over the years it was increased to 75mg.

My asthma became awful, with breathing problems every single day. Unfortunately for me it took them too long to figure out the Beta Blocker was contributing. Even lowering the dose back to 25MG did not help. I had to be weaned off and it is in my chart that I cannot take beta blockers as they exacerbate my asthma. My pulmonoligist said that even low dose beta blockers can do this to asthmatics or people with airway problems.

I am 30 days off and still struggling with my breathing - I am praying the longer I am off it will get better - however, I am beginning to wonder if being on it so long did permanent damage to my lungs. I hope not.

My advice would be to switch to a different category of HBP meds that does not effect breathing (I heard that Diovan is a good - though I could not tolerate that one) - but many others have had success with that one.

Good luck to you - and do not wait - good breathing is very important.

Take care of yourself.

Vanessa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
(male)

john319 HB User
Post Re: Metoprolol and other beta blockers

Vanessa,

Thank you for the reply.

OMG! I am so sorry .

I am definitely going back my old BP med, Benicar. I have to discuss this with my primary and pulmonary drs.

I have been on the 25 mg dose for almost a month. Do I still have to wean off the lowest dose? (I am not sure when I will get an appointment with my primary dr--either this week or next week so I wanted to ask.)

You are definitely in my prayers.

Thanks again.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

When I first went on blood pressure medications, my doctor was very careful about not placing me on a beta blocker since I had asthma. At the time, it cost me more in co-pays, but they now have more generics in the other types. I am now on low-dose Norvasc, a calcium channel blocker.

Last edited by MountainReader; 03-28-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

John319,

I would definitely recommend weaning off - just cut them in half and take 12.5 for about 7 days and then you should be able to stop - since its only been a month.

I hope that Benicar works well for your HBP control.

Thanks for the prayers - you will be in mine too!!!

Mountainreader,

Do you notice any side effects for the CCB Norvasc? My Doc is thinking of trying that one next. I tried Verapamil and got bad upper chest tightness - he said that may not happen with Norvasc even though they are both CCB's.

Thanks!

Vanessa

Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
(male)

john319 HB User

MountainReader,

Your doctor was smart in avoiding the beta blockers. I learned of metoprolol last month when I went to the ER for chest pains. I turned out to be either reflux and/or anxiety. The tests were normal, as was a nuclear stress test I took last December. My heart is healthy; unfortunately I have health anxiety about the heart because of my father's passing from a heart attack.

The ER dr mentioned about the Metoprolol because it's also supposed to help with anxiety. I asked my primary dr to switch the meds and he agreed after reading the ER report. He figured the low dose wouldn't affect the asthma. Unforutnately my body disagrees.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
(male)

john319 HB User
Thumbs up Vanessa74

Hey Vanessa,

Hope you're doing good and hope you are having a great weekend.

I have been off the Metoprolol for two days now and already I noticed improvement! I haven't had any asthma episodes; I feel different from when I was on the Metoprolol--I feel like I was before I took it; my nocturnal/morning allergic rhinitius is back to not resulting in asthma episodes and/or low peak meter readings; and the meter readings themselves the past two days have been good as well!

Thank you.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

That is SO FANTASTIC!!!

You did the right thing for yourself I am glad you were able to get off and that you are feeling better

Vanessa

PS: - How's the B/P looking off the medication?

Last edited by Vanessa74; 03-30-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
(male)

john319 HB User

Thanks, Vanessa.

I don't know about the bp yet. I switched back to my previous med, Benicar. I will be going to my general dr soon. Thanks for asking.

How are you feeling?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Better - now that MountainReader said that the cough from Bronchitis can linger for at least a month or more after the severe bronchitis passes. That gave me some MUCH needed peace of mind!!

I am still having unwanted 'side effects' from the Prednisone taper that I was on for a week - heart rate and B/P surges and hot flashes, headaches. I have read that it takes a few weeks to get prednisone out of your system - so I will try to be patient.

Truthfully - I tend to be a worrier by nature

Time for me to make an appointment with my Dr. to try another new HBP medication!!!! He is thinking Norvasc this time!!

I hope that you continue to feel better EVERYDAY!!!! I am so happy that you were able to get off that Toprol and see immediate positive results.

Take good care of you!

Vanessa

Old 03-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
(male)

john319 HB User

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

I wish you well with the Prednisone. I was on it in 2006 when the asthma had gotten more chronic. In retrospect, I now don't know if I could label that time strictly asthma-related. I was developing anxiety because of the asthma and GERD. Chest tightness is a symptom of both asthma and anxiety. I used to take 20-60 mg of Prednisone depending on the chest tightness, usually every 10 ten days. Mind over matter? Probably. I haven't taken the med since November 2006.

You saying you're a worrier--you're preaching to the choir . I still have trouble distinguishing if chest tightness is anxiety or asthma. (My asthma is mild.) I still worry about this, though not as bad as I used to. I went to an outpatient health-anxiety program which was IMMENSLY helpful.

Me too: making an appointment with the dr for the bp med situation. I am calling tomorrow and see when's his next Saturday.

Quote:
I hope that you continue to feel better EVERYDAY!!!! I am so happy that you were able to get off that Toprol and see immediate positive results.
That's very kind of you. Thank you. I read this to my wife and she also considered this very thoughtful.

You too: take care of YOU! And have a good night.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I did the Medrol pack again in February after my asthma had been out of control for weeks. I usually end up on Prednisone or Medrol a couple times per year. This time, for the first time, I had the rapid heartbeat side effect. I woke up one night and took my BP and my pulse was in the 150's. This was while resting. I called my doctor. He said not to worry about it unless it became worse since I wouldn't be on the steroids for long. After I completed my prescription, my pulse went back to normal. I can't speak to the headaches because I had a sinus infection at the same time.

The Norvasc has worked well for me for several years. I take it in conjunction with Dyazide.

John, I can relate to the anxiety over the chest tightness. Up until this January, my main asthma symptom was a horrible chronic cough. This year, I developed the chest tightness symptom as well. First time I had this it really scared me. I ended up needing emergency treatment. Now, I worry the next attack will end up the same. I now carry an epi-pen just in case to give me some time if it happens again.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #13
(male)

john319 HB User
Post MountainReader

MountainReader,

Isn't funny--and I don't mean ha-ha funny--how this stinking disease can change. From 2000 when I was first diagnosed with asthma until November 2005, the asthma was never affected by the cold. Then that year's Thanksgiving night I got my first attack because of cold air.

It's good you carry around an epi-pen. I am sad that you have to carry it.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi John319 & MountainReader,

I am with you BOTH - chest tightness is my MAIN asthma symptom - and it really SCARES me. I have chest tightness with my GERD/Reflux as well so it is hard for me to distinguish between the two - and it does make me panicky at times. I worry that if I ignore it and relate it to GERD - that it will actually be the asthma and I will end up in the ER.... I have a prescription for Xanax but try only to take it when absolutely NECESSARY and not get addicted to it - but it does help with the panick and anxiety A LOT

Chest tightness was also a side effect of the Beta Blocker that I was on - so even though it has been 30 days - I was on it for 5 years and am still trying to get it out of my system

I have been off the Prednisone for 10 days now and still having the racing heart rate off and on, headache, and B/P spikes. I know that I needed it but I really hate the side effects. It has also made my GERD act up really bad - which means LOTS of chest tightness.... Its like a circle .....

My asthma used to be VERY mild - until October - now I am affected by Cold, Humidity, Dust, Perfume, Hairspray, and on and on - it has been difficult adjusting my life to all these new 'triggers' but very worth it!

I am looking forward to trying a new B/P med to get that back under control!

Hope you are all doing GREAT!

Vanessa

Old 04-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #15
(male)

john319 HB User

Vanessa,

My pulmonary dr last night believes my chest tightness and recent asthma outbreaks are due to my GERD which, by the way, is in the larynx. He is referring me to a gastrointerologist who, according him, is great for GERD patients. He may be onto something because the chest tightness started around the time the GERD started, late 2006.

Quote:
so it is hard for me to distinguish between the two - and it does make me panicky at times. I worry that if I ignore it and relate it to GERD - that it will actually be the asthma and I will end up in the ER....
Believe me, I know the feeling . I would err on the side of caution and treat it like it is asthma even if it isn't.

Re: the Xanax, I have .25 mg tabs that I use to help with the chest tightness.

Last month when I was on the Metoprolol I also did notice increased chest tightness occurrences.

Stay strong with the tapering off of the Prednisone.

Interestingly and thankfully my pressue was 120/80 last night, which is the 5th day back on the Benicar. Good luck with the BP med.

Closed Thread