It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
(female)

sensitivesoul8 HB User
Is this typical?

My asthma seems to be getting worse because I am getting sick more frequently than ever. I'm pretty much learning as I go because each year I seem to get worse. I'm trying the best I can to understand what's going on and be in close communication with my doctors. But I'm still scared about how this is progressing and want to know if this is typical for asthmatics to experience:

2 months ago, I had a severe attack and was rushed to the hospital - only stayed for 2 hours. But was given prednisone and nebulizer treatments. It took about a month for me to get back to normal. It's been 2 months since the hospital visit and I got sick again. Had a cold last week and went to the doctor as soon as I could. I was given a 6 day treatment of Methylprednisolone. I have 2 days left of it. (Aside from that, I take daily controllers, including Symbicort, Singulair and Spiriva).

Took a second day off of work yesterday because I awoke at 3AM and it felt like I had weights on my chest. I was in bed all day because of it just trying to rest. I thought I was ok, but when I went back to work today, I felt like I was hit with a ton of bricks and felt really weak. On my break, I rested my head on the table the whole time. My chest was a little sore, but I felt really weak...sort of lightheaded too. When I got home from work, I had that same weak, sick, sore feeling. Went right in bed and rested for a few hours.

Is it typical to feel debilitated like this? A friend of mine said that people have asthma but not like this where it's affecting my lifestyle and debilitating me. Have any other asthmatics here experienced these feelings or symptoms? I'm trying to do everything I possibly can to not be sick and to control my asthma. I'm scared that I'm sick a lot....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Is this typical?

No, it is not typical. Are you going to a pulmonologist? If not, I strongly suggest that you do. New guidelines from the NIH include having a written plan for control of your asthma. In other words, you should have a daily preventer, a rescue inhaler and a plan how to increase each med in case of illness, cardio, etc. Generally you will start out on 2 puffs morning and night of one of the daily meds. Eventually, you try to cut back until you find the level that works best for you. I started on 2 puffs of Flovent AM and PM. I am down to one puff in the AM. When I get sick or have an attack, I up that to one puff 2 times a day. So, this is something that you should have a written game plan for. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Re: Is this typical?

Hi Sensitive,

I am sorry for your suffering. It does sound like you are on daily asthma treatments (Symbicort, Singular, and Spiriva).

Could this weak sick feeling in anyway be associated to the Steroids (predinisone in the ER and now the taper dose that you are on) and their side effects? I am no expert - but I do have asthma and had to go on prednisone - it made me pretty sick - but eventually helped the breathing. My side effects were exhaustion, head and heart pounding, headaches and dizziness, leg pains and cramping. -- Just something to consider.

Another thing - are you treating at all for Acid Reflux? I have heard from many here that acid reflux makes asthma worse. I have 'silent reflux' - so I did not even know that I had it - but it was making my asthma HORRIBLE - I do treat that now - it is helping my breathing a bit.

My final thought - have you been tested for any other 'lung type' of illnesses besides asthma (COPD, Emphysema, etc.) - I am not trying to scare you at all - just to RULE OUT anything more serious and the fact that you say that you are getting worse each year? Perhaps something at your home or work environment (mold, fungus, etc.) - is making you worse?

Maybe a change of your daily medications would help?

These are just my thoughts - I hope and pray that you start to feel really BETTER soon and stay better.

I agree with Titchou - a trip to a Pulmonologist is in order!

Vanessa

Closed Thread