It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

nawiliwili HB User
bronchitis making asthma flare?

I suspect I've had undiagnosed asthma for quite some time. I cough horribly after running, I've had wheezing attacks when walking in cold weather... the list goes on. I'm really prone to having colds go into my ches. When I have asked my family doctor about asthma, he has always just looked at me and said, your fine right now I don't think so.

This past week, I came down with a cold. It went into my chest really fast and I had a night of really struggling to breather with wheezing and lots of coughing. I went to a walkin, and they gave me ventolin. It helps a LOT. Two days later, I have horrid fever and go back and see someone else. He says, bronchitis and thought it was turning into pnumonia. Gives me biaxin. I've been taking that for five days now. Yeserday, I had horrid coughing fit and went back again. I could not even talk in the doctors office. She added flovent to the mix.

Does this sound like asthma or typical bronchitis? Or both? I've living betweeen ventolin puffs at the moment and was coughing so bad tnoight I was vomiting. I serisouly considered going to the ER but managed to get control wth the ventolin and trying to breathe through it. I'm going to go back on monday but its getting kind of crazy. I need to be able to breathe.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: bronchitis making asthma flare?

If you have asthma, any kind of respiratory infection can (and usually does) cause asthma to flare up. Unfortunately, from what you describe it's really hard to tell whether your symptoms are from the Bronchitis, the Asthma or some combination of both - bronchitis alone usually causes a nasty cough that can be hard to manage.

It sounds like they've got you on the right meds so your best option is probably to ride out the bronchitis and then go back and see a doctor about the asthma after the bronchitis is behind you - I doubt they could distinguish between the two right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread