It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

willowthewisp HB Userwillowthewisp HB User
Steroids

Why does a Dr put you on Steroids for your Asthma. Is it because your Asthma is bad, would they give you steroids if you only had slight Asthma.
I was on the understanding that Steroids were only given for severe asthma attacks because they are not good for you!!

Old 04-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
(female)

Charlottie HB User
Re: Steroids

From the symptoms you described you do sound like you're having quite a severe asthma episode or you're heading towards one. Please don't worry a short course of steroids will do you more good than harm.

Last edited by Charlottie; 04-19-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

A Dr. usually prescribe steroid tablets when your asthma is severe or you are having a very bad episode. It helps get the swelling down quickly so that he can start treating you with a daily inhaled steroid and give you a rescue type medication - or to supplement these meds if they are not working at the moment as well as they should.

If you are still feeling poorly on the tablet - please go to the ER and get a breathing treatment and a chest x-ray - it is very serious and not something to wait on.

I hope you feel better soon!

Vanessa

Old 04-20-2008, 05:15 AM   #4
(female)

Thank you for your replies, i get a bit confused as i have never ever had Asthma before. I just find it so strange that the Dr was telling me i was fine, but then giving me a 5 day course of steroid tablets!! He has also given me the blue sprays as well, but for someone who he says is fine, why on earth put me on steroid tablets!!
I ended up going to bed last night, the wheezing will not let up. I took some blue sprays and sat in bed reading for a good couple of hours. When i wake up in the morning i am then fine. But again this morning i am feeling breathless, mainly when i exert myself. It is now 1pm and the wheezing is already back, i can feel it in my chest and to be honest it is a pain in the back side. If i went to hospital they would not do anything because i can walk,talk and near on carry on as normal, its just that i can't stop this wheezing and shortness of breath. I am back to work Tuesday so i do hope its gone by then.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

HI willow,

Are you taking the steroid tablets? Are they helping at all?

Do you ever have indigestion, acid reflux, or GERD? This can also cause wheezing and breathing problems (especiually at night). Try treating with some over the counter anti-acid type medication and see if that helps at all.

I hope you find some relief soon.

Vanessa

Old 04-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You have an inflammation in your lungs. The steroid pills will temporarily shut down your immune system so that the inflammation goes away. Then the daily preventer (I assume you are one one - Flovent, Singulair, Advair, etc) can begin to work thereby reducing your need for the Albuterol or rescue inhaler. Hope that makes sense.

Jsut some info, asthmatics often have trouble breathing when laying down if their asthma is not under control. Also, if allergies trigger ones asthma, going to bed in a pile of dust mites (which beds have in alarming numbers) will set off an attack. I suggest you get the allergy proof bags for your mattress and
pillows if you have a problem with dust mites.

You need to get your asthma under control so that you can see what triggers an attack. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
(female)

Thank so much for your replies, it is a comfort to know people are there.
As this is the very first time i have had an asthma attack ( aged 43) i can only guest that as i had flu, this must have triggered it off! Although i have had a constant cough for about 6 years now, mainly at night, my Dr first suggested post nasal drip, but after 2years, said it may be acid reflux or maybe a bit of Asthma, but nothing stops it. I also get this coughif i am on the phone/talking for too long. I cough and cough and cannot stop until i chole, then it goes away. But i have noticed that at night when i cough, after coughing i get this wheezing in my chest/throat, nothing big but it is there, could this be a night time Asthma. I find it really hard to believe i have suddenly got Asthma at my age. I have thought that is is just Asthma as i have had this cough for so many years!!

Old 04-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, I'm 62 and have had it for 12 years. I had walking pneumonia over Labor Day weekend 12 years ago and the end result was asthma. It can be caused by a particular strain of pneumonia, esp in adults.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
(female)

I have just had to go back to see my Dr again tonight as the wheezing is driving me mad. She was shocked at how much i am wheezing as i have never been an Asthmatic.
She has given me some Nebules for the Nebuliser and a brown spray. ( i already have the blue one).
Both she and i cannot understand how this has suddenly come on so quickly and badly, but i feel deep down that i may have a touch of Pneumonia. The dr also wants me to go for a chest xray tomorrow as she said i was more wheezy on my right hand side.
Also because i was assaulted a week ago and hit in the chest with a heavy metal thing, she wants to check this out as well.!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Wow Willow,

You poor thing - you really have been through it Hopefully the chest x-ray will give them what they need to help you properly. Maybe when you are assaulted something got hurt and that is why the sudden wheezing and could be why the medications aren't helping.

Please let us know how you make out.

Vanessa

Old 04-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
(female)

Hi, thanks for all your support and replies. I went today for my chest xray so hopefully will find out if anything else is wrong apart from Asthma. I know the Dr is right, but i am very suspiscious that this could be a touch of Pneumonia. I am in such pain/discomfort with my chest.
I went to work to day for half the day, and boy did i feel ill. I felt faint the whole time,dizzy and its sort of like i am in a different world!! I keep burning up, all the time. Last night in bed i kept waking up and i was pouring with sweat, i was burning inside and out and i kept sort of shaking!!!! I was also waking up and moaning out loud.LOL but it was because of this shaking thing i was doing. I am just so hot i cannot cool down.
I have made it through the day with a little less chestiness than yesterday, but and still having a struggle.
My peak flow is only 300 at the moment as well.
Will post when i know more of my xray.
willow

Old 04-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Willow,

I hope you find out some GOOD news soon and that they are able to help you. The 'hot flashes and sweating' may be side effects from the Steroid Tablets - they did that to me when I had to take them.

Hopefully they will fix you up SOON and completely.

Please let us know how you make out and God Bless.

Vanessa

Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #13
(female)

Well, i am feeling much better now. I am still a bit breathless on exertion, but all my wheezing has gone. I am still so baffled as to where this sudden Ashtma attack came from. I am waiting on the results of my chest x-ray, and if nothing shows up there, then they are going to diagnos me as Asthmatic!!! I hope this doesnt happen again. It was a horrible feeling.

Closed Thread