It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

momto3boys1girl HB User
New here and need help for my 11 month old

This is going to get long so I will apologize now. A little background. My baby was born in May. Well in November on Thanksgiving weekend he got his very first cold. Well I had to go into the dr's every 2 weeks for his immunizations since his body could not handle more than one at a time. Well every time I went in I made mention that my son was still coughing and had a runny nose. Well that just kept telling me every 2 weeks he is probably getting a new virus. Well I just went along with that but was getting concerned since I did not understand why he could not get rid of it after months. I understand getting viruses back to back but come on. Well in Feb he had his 9 month well baby appt and the dr was listening inside of him and proceeded to tell me he was wheezing and said it was probably bronchiolitis and he was probably near the end. Well the next day I could hear him breathing from another room so I took him over to the hospital to have his oxygen levels checked. They were going between 83 and 85%. His blood work was fine and an xray confirmed bronchiolitis. So they did a treatment of albuterol and things seemed better. So they sent me home with all the stuff. I did the albuterol for a week and things did not seem to be getting better so I took him to the dr and they prescribed oral prednisolone for a week. I made an appt with an allergy/asthma dr and they tested him for food allergies since he was to young to be tested for anything else. Those came back just fine. So he gave me a script for pulmicort. Our ped wanted us to do the pulmicort twice a day for two months to get out of sick season. Since they are saying asthma brought on by illness. We also tried zyrtec which did not do anything so we tried singulair. Well once I started the singulair he started needing albuterol treatments when he woke up in the morning and his sleep became terrible. So I took him off the singulair even though it did take away the cough and runny nose. Well a week off singulair everything returned and he actually had a bacterial infection. So this all came on last thursday. Well tuesday he woke up and was wheezing. I had never heard it before but knew what it was. So I started up some albuterol. The next day I took him into the ped just so he could listen to him and make sure the gunk did not go into his lungs. I purposely did not give him any treatments hoping the ped would finally see what I was talking about. Well when I got there he listened to him and said he was wheezing (which I did not hear) and he could see the retracting and fast breathing. So he said albuterol every 4 hours until the oral prednisolone kicked in along with the pulmicort still twice a day.

So my concerns are how do I know he really needs a treatment. Do you think his breathing habits could just be normal for him? When we first started all this treatment stuff the ped said if his respirations per minute were more than 55 take him to the er. Well they never are under that if he is awake. When he is awake he is anywhere from 55 to 73. He does not retract all the time. When he is asleep he is 25 to 45.

I swear he keeps telling me different things on when to treat and when to not. I feel so bad putting all this junk in his little body. His activity levels have never changed even when his oxygen was low he still was acting the same.

Ok, I am sure this is so confusing, but if you have any insight please help me or if you need more info let me know.

Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: New here and need help for my 11 month old

Have you talked about seeing a pediatric pulmonologist? I think that's the direction you need to go.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
(female)

momto3boys1girl HB User

My ped has to refer me and he won't. What does that kind of dr do and how do you know you need one? We have an asthma/allergy dr, but sometimes I think our ped knows more than he does.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

A pulmonologist handles lung (pulmonary) problems. When people say they are seeing an allergy doc, that doesn't always tell you his specialty...is he an ENT or an immunologist, or a certified allergist. You need to know he specialty as listed by the AMA. How did you get the referral to the asthma/allergy doc? If you ped was willing to do that one, he should be OK with the pulmonologist. Though I do realize the HMO penalizes him for doing that.....

Old 04-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
(female)

momto3boys1girl HB User

My ped did not need to refer us to the allergy dr. I am going to call our insurance again monday and see for sure if I need a referral.

According to the AMA our allergy/asthma dr's specialty is pediatric allergies.

I am thinking I need someone that specializes in breathing issues so they can tell me if what my son is doing is normal for him or not. I hate trying to guess if he needs a treatment and I hate giving him treatments if he does not need them.

So if I am looking for someone that specializes in breathing issues than that would be the pulmonary dr, right???

Old 04-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Exactly who you should see.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
(female)

momto3boys1girl HB User

Thanks so much. I think my ped is holding out because he thinks once we get past the sick season he will be fine and than his plan is to start the pulmicort back up in October before next sick season.

My concern is that my husband and oldest son have really bad summer allergies and I fear that my baby might have them too and than he would have flare ups from the allergies. So therefore no break, but I am sure if that is the case my ped would still treat as we are.

I personally don't think his breathing is normal. There are times he seems to be breathing normal but just crawling around the house can bring on some heavy fast breathing.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Your ped may also be reluctant to refer you because, at that age, there's only so much a pulmonologist can do. It's impossible to do an accurate breathing test on an 11 month old, so the pulmonologist will be able to listen to his breathing, maybe do an x-ray, etc. - it's really hard to do much more than treat the symptoms at that age.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
(female)

momto3boys1girl HB User

Well I made an appt with a pediatric pulmonary dr who also specializes in asthma. Now they need a referral so how do I make my ped do one???

To gcsmithjr: That is my problem. What if all this is normal for my son and I am feeling him full of all these steroids for no reason. That is why I want another opinion. I know it is so hard when they are so young and there is only so much they can do, but I am sure they can tell if it is normal of not. But than again I am not a dr so what do I know...

Old 04-29-2008, 04:23 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

I think, for your own peace of mind if nothing else, this is the right step. I'd just tell the ped the truth. You want the peace of mind and you've already made the appt. You just need him to write the referral.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
(female)

willowthewisp HB Userwillowthewisp HB User

Hi, when my daughter was a baby, i had no idea she had Asthma. Loads and loads of nights she would wake me up coughing. Sometimes just normal coughing and sometimes she coughed and coughed often until she was sick or brought up mucas like stuff.
As she was a very premature baby i nipped her to see our local Dr, he listened to her chest and said he could hear her wheezing. I could not hear a thing though. He sent her straight to hospital. It turns out that all these nights i sat with her whilst she coughed her guts up, this was actuall her having loads of Asthma attacks. I was just sitting there trying to soothe her when really she needed the emergency sprays. I always thought of an Asthma attack as being able to hear the person wheezing and signs of having trouble breathing, but this is not so. Now my older child got Asthma aged 8 and she is exactly the same, when the Asthma starts she is quiet, i cant hear any wheezing. Only when she is having a severe Asthma attack can i hear the wheezing. The youngest child is now 15 and has grown out of the Asthma apart from when she gets flu or something. The child who got Asthma aged 8 is now almost 18 and still has the Asthma.
Good luck and i hope you get everything sorted out.
willow

Closed Thread