It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Tight chest

Hi all,

I've had quite bad asthma since I was a little kid. I'm now 21 (22 next week) and for the last week I've been having episodes of tight chest. My chest feels very tight but without any wheezing. I do have allergies and I'm taking allergy tablets at the moment which kick my allergies in the bud so I don't think the allergies are causing this.

It seems worse when I wake up. When I wake up and come downstairs I need to take my ventolin. When I go upstairs I need to take my ventolin and the same when I come back downstairs. I seem ok walking but I cant run because then I will need my reliever. The tight chest gets so bad that taking my ventolin twice doesn't help - I usually need to take it 4 times in one go.

My GP prescribed Singulair for me about 2 months ago because its also used for allergies and I'm also on Telfast for allergies and my inhalers are ventolin and Symbicort. I'm starting to wonder if I'm picking up a chest infection as it usually does start like this but its the wrong time of year for me. I usually get chest infections all throughout autumn and winter, one after the other and this time of year I'm usually fine. I did cough up one bit of phlegm yesterday but I didn't have a look at the colour. I don't want to bother my GP until the wheezing starts because they wont do much. Anyway any advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Tight chest

One thing about the running - even if your asthma is well controlled, you will need to medicate with the albuterol before running/cardio. I jog and I do 2 puffs 15-20 minutes before jogging and have no problems. Otherwise, I never need my albuterol. I'm on Flovent for a daily med and it keeps things in check.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Thank you for your reply. Yep I know about taking the reliever before running. I always do this but lately it seems I'm getting more out of puff like a old woman lol. I'm even taking my ventolin before I climb up the stairs but I still need it again by the time I come downstairs. It seems a bit better today so I'm hoping it will pass over. Thanks again.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
(female)

Fleurlur HB User

If you're having to use your reliever inhaler that much I would suggest going back to your doctors. If you use it more than 2-3 times a week it usually indicates a change in dosage or your daily meds need adjusting.

As you coughed up phlegm, it could be the beginnings of an infection. Look at the colour of it if you cough some up again. [I realise that is disgusting :P]

Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Ok thank you. I was thinking of going back to my DRs but to be honest I do try to avoid them. I haven't coughed up anymore phelgm but if I do I will keep a eye on the colour. Hopefully its just the weather or something silly making my chest tight. Thank you all again.

Closed Thread