It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

romanticheart16 HB User
asthma not under control!!

recently my dad developed asthma and he has never had problems with asthma Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions or remedies that will help control the asthma better its breaking my heart and I do want a solution for him. He is currently taking the inhaler once a day and I know this isnt controlled asthma for someone under control wouldnt have to use the inhaler all day...he did try advair for a while but that didnt seem to work for him he is currently just taking abuterol for the tightness of the chess and he does cough alot and has difficulty breathing mostly at night..any advice is helpful and would be appreciated.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: asthma not under control!!

A couple of quick thoughts:

First of all, he should definitely talk to the doctor about getting on an anti-inflammatory inhaler like Flovent, Pulmicort, etc. These are steroid inhalers that help decrease the inflammation in the lungs and minimize daily asthma symptoms (vs. Albuterol which is a short term medication designed to help with asthma flare ups). He can take both at the same time.

Second, if he has acid reflux or heartburn he should work with his doctor to get that under control - it can contribute to asthma symptoms and getting acid reflux under control can make a huge difference.

Finally, you might ask the doctor about a leukotriene inhibitor like Singulair - it comes in a pill form and helps stop the inflammation in the lungs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
(female)

ivy1958 HB User

My daughter has asthma, she is 21 now. When she was in jr high and high school she played softball. Her asthma got so bad she was using an albuteral inhaler every day, several times a day. It got to the point where she would have to sit out innings of the games. Went to a pulmanary doctor who put her on advair. Since then it's been like a miracle drug. She uses it daily, once in the morning and once at night and gets along fine. She still might need her albuteral inhaler, but its only about 2 times a month if that. Advair has been a lifesaver for her. You would never know she had asthma now.

Last edited by ivy1958; 04-29-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
(female)

romanticheart16 HB User

I had heard that acid reflux or heartburn could be causing his problem but when told this I didn't think about this till now you could possibly be right...and as far as the medication he suggested that to his doctor and is now taking flovent and abuterol together... regularly he also started to exercise starting with afternoon walks. thanks for your help gcsmithjr

on another note is there any natural home remedies for asthma i know remedies cant replace medicine and my dad is aware of that but natural medicine in our opinion would be better since I heard that using flovent and abuterol can damage your body if used long term...is this a myth or not??

Old 05-01-2008, 01:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

You might have him try Prilosec OTC (over the counter) for a couple of weeks to get the acid reflux under control - if that's causing his problems he should see some improvement quickly.

As for the natural remedies I would be very careful. There are some things that may help the underlying causes (i.e. natural treatments for allergies and acid reflux) but I've never read or heard about any legitimate natural remedies for asthma. Keep in mind that 11 people die every day from asthma in the U.S. (even with all of the medical treatments available) - it is not something you want to mess with.

As for possible long-term effects of albuterol and flovent, there are virtually no long-term effects of albuterol. It has been used by millions of asthmatics daily for about 30 years, is short acting and has no real long-term effects. Flovent is a very mild steroid so it can have some side effects but most people don't have any problems with it - the medication gets right to the lungs and typically isn't absorbed into the bloodstream. I've been on it for 10 years with no obvious side effects.

Closed Thread