It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

smiley85243 HB User
New to board - Asthma out of control

Hi everyone. I am 36 years old and have had asthma as long as I can remember. In the last 9 months it has been totally out of control and getting worse and worse. I have been hospitalized 6 times and have been tot he ER numerous times. I have been on steroids more than off and are currently on them yet again. I recently had allergy tests done and found out I am allergic to pretty much everything they tested me for but the worse being cats, dogs, horses and mold. Mold is what got me admitted to the hospital the first time due to my neighbor leaving dead weeds in a pile for months which turned into mold. I do have 2 dogs and cannot part with them. I do keep them out of my bedroom and my husband sweeps and vacuums. regularly to get rid of the pet hair. My allergist/pulmologist wants me to get allergy shots which I am all for as well as start xolair. I am just waiting for them to get the serum for my allergy shots and the xolair from the pharmacy. In the meantime however I am suffering. I went to see him today and before they could do anything they had to give me a treatment because I was so tight even though it had only been an hour since my last one. My spiromety test was horrible very low and doing it put me into an asthma attack. I am waking up at night needing to do treatments and I am so very uncomfortable. I also have pain in my left lung. Have any of you ever had that before? This is new to me. The only time I have had that happen was when I had pneumonia but I had the pneumonia shot have no symptoms such as fever, etc. I am at my wits end. I know I am close to being hospitalized again and I dread it I don't want to be in the hospital again but it is getting to that point. This is usually the point I start packing a bag to take with me.

I just want to feel better and be able to live a normal life. I want to be able to go outside take a walk what normal people do. I am so sick of being sick and not being able to breathe. Please tell me there is hope because I cannot find it.

Thanks for listening sorry for the extremely long rant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
(male)

liveto100 HB User
Re: New to board - Asthma out of control

Xolair helped my asthma about on par with Prednisone and it kicked in pretty fast, within weeks, although some people report it taking a long time to start working.

After one year on Xolair I had become almost completely insensitive to attacks from allergies including mold but Xolair has had little effect on asthma attacks from irritants such as perfumes although my reactions to the irritants is more subdued.

I also take Advair, Spiriva, Zyrtec and Uniphyl and each of these contributes enough to breathing quality that when I stop taking them I can tell.

But I've not touched Prednisone in over a year and I attribute that to mostly to Xolair.

Problem with Xolair is it's extreme cost. For now, my insurance covers it but if I loose my insurance there's no way I can afford it.

I also keep my bedroom clean as possible, change linens often, run a room air cleaner and keep the dog out of the room and I think all those things help.

I work at keeping my airways open but it pays off. I live a pretty much normal life and with asthma under control a trip to the ER is the last thing on my mind.

Having a good doctor is probably the most important of all, though. Everyone's treatment program has to be tailored to their unique situation and that's where the guidance of a good doctor is essential.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
(female)

smiley85243 HB User
Re: New to board - Asthma out of control

Thank you for your response. I am just waiting for my doc to get xolair from the pharmacy and will be starting to take it. I too keep my dogs out of the bedroom and am looking into getting a room purifier. I am just so frustrated because the asthma is totally debilitating me. I am pretty sure that I am going to end up admitted into the hospital again because it isn't getting better and I am not getting relief from my treatments. this has been going on way too long and I need to get control of this.

Closed Thread