It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

OceanBreeze0258 HB User
Asthma Attacks

Last December I was diagnosed with mild asthma ans given Flovent as a controler. In March I had an asthma attack and my doctor gave me a rescue inhalor. Latley I have been having more serious attacks, my chest is so tight, I have a wheeze and a non-productive cough. I also feel as though I can't catch my breath. I have two questions, my first is does this sound like mild asthma? My second is it really bad to have this feeling so constently. Sorry I have a third too, It is if I have a mild attack not as bad symptoms but still present should I take my rescue inhalor? Thankyou for all your help.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Asthma Attacks

If you're consistently wheezing and coughing it's a step or two above mild asthma, and you probably need to see a pulmonologist to get on a more structured asthma treatment plan.

Yes, it's bad to have ongoing symptoms like you describe (and it's not normal, even for someone with Asthma) - one of the things that is very important is figuring out what triggers your attacks - the most common triggers are allergies, environmental irritants and acid reflux.

If allergies or acid reflux are triggering your attacks then you need to get those things under control (antihistamines or allergy shots for allergies, medication for the acid reflux). The environmental irritants (things like ozone, pollution, even cold air) can be a little tougher to manage.

As for the inhalers, you should use the Flovent twice daily, but use the rescue inhaler only when you feel your symptoms escalating. If you're wheezing and feeling chest tightness all of the time, your asthma is definitely not under control and you need to see a doctor to help you get it back under control.

I'd also strongly recommend that you see a pulmonologist, not your regular doctor - asthma can be tricky but you should be able to get it under control with the help of someone who specialized in treating it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread