It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

prettyfish13 HB User
Unhappy Pregnancy Induced Asthma? Help Please :(

Sorry, this is rather long. Hopefully someone can give me some insight on this, as Iím really not sure whatís been going on with me the past month and a half. So, here goes:

I am 20 weeks pregnant. I also have some problems with anxiety. About a month a half ago, I was suddenly overcome with the sensation that I can not get enough oxygen. I call it my ďbreathing problemĒ. I find myself signing and yawning all day long, from when I wake up to when I go to bed. Sometimes I feel like I just canít get a full breath. It doesnít really change when I am just sitting or walking around. I found I can go on the treadmill without much of a problem Ė the deep breaths continue at pretty much the same rate! Sometimes, my lungs just feel very, very tired. They donít exactly hurt, they just feel sore, and rather tight. Some days, my chin, neck, and even chest (around my sternum) will feel strange: sort of itchy. Iíll also feel dizzy at times, but I know this is a normal symptom of pregnancy, so I really donít know if itís related.

I have spoken to my OB and my primary care doc about my symptoms. My OB doesnít seem concerned at all, and said itís just a pregnancy thing. Iím just having a really hard time believing this, because Iíve never heard of anyone else having these problems when pregnant. I mean, I know feeling more short of breath with activity is totally normal, but this is ALL THE TIME. Iím starting to lose my mind. I started Zoloft 3 weeks ago for anxiety, and havenít noticed any difference yet (as I know anxiety can cause breathing issues).

My primary care ran some blood tests, and I am every so slightly anemic, but nothing out of the ordinary for someone pregnant. They do not think that is causing my SOB. They did a d-dimer, and that came back elevated, but I had a lung scan to see if there was as clot, and that test was normal. Iíve had an EKG to check my heart, and that was normal. I also did a spirometry test for asthma, and apparently that was normal. They gave me an abuterol inhaler, but Iíve never noticed any difference from using it.

SoÖI have no idea whatís wrong with me. Does any of this sound like asthma? If my spirometry test came back normal, does that definitely mean I donít have asthma? The reason I keep thinking maybe it IS asthma is because of the strange itchy sensation in my chin and neck, the soreness/tightness in my chest, and the fact that pregnancy can often cause women to suddenly develop asthma. Except, the inhaler doesnít help at all. Oh, and Iíve had a cough, but my nose has also been rather congested. Whenever Iíve had colds in the past, they are very bad, and I will have a bad cough for weeks afterwards (donít know if that could relate to asthma).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Iím at my wits end here, and really just want to enjoy my pregnancy .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
(female)

Fleurlur HB User
Re: Pregnancy Induced Asthma? Help Please :(

It's actually a very common symptom of anxiety so it's probably just that.

Plus you're body is trying to breathe for two people and on top of that you're lungs are being squished. Couple this with your anxiety and this is what gives you the symptoms. I am a fellow anxiety sufferer and it's the hardest symptom to accept as part of anxiety. If your doctor isn't too worried about it then please try to take your mind off it.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
(male)

AtenololUser HB User
Re: Pregnancy Induced Asthma? Help Please :(

Yeah, it sounds like anxiety, Pregnancy can also cause reflux, which may be adding to your breathing problems. Your hormones may be shifting as well. Try to relax and take care of yourself.

Closed Thread