It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
(male)

The Mayor HB User
10 yr. old girl needs help...............

Hello all,
Just trying to help good friends of ours with their daughter's health problem.
Here is the e-mail I got this morning and wondered if anyone might think what would cause this. Thanks for reading!

Hi all:

Karah's been having some trouble this week, and we could use your prayers. We have made 4 visits to the emergency room since last Sunday night. Tonight is the 4th. Each of those evenings she's had respiratory stress from her asthma. But it doesn't seem to be related to exposure to a known allergen. There is something different about these episodes, and they only start in the evenings. Once it begins in her, she gets pain in her chest, then she gets anxious, which exacerbates her symptoms, and she eventually spirals to a point where all our methods of intervention at home are ineffective.

I'm sure you may have many questions (so do we) but its too much to go into here, so forgive us for not explaining all of the issues right now.

Please just pray for the following so she can get back to normal, and we can stop this ridiculous cycle of ER visits:
1. Answers soon on what is triggering these
2. A definitive treatment protocol to quell these flair-ups she's been having.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: 10 yr. old girl needs help...............

She obviously needs to have her daily meds reassessed. Asthma isn't necessarily static, particularly in children. I assume she's seeing a pediatric pulmonologitst...which is the appropriate doctor for her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
(male)

The Mayor HB User

Titchou;
After speaking with her father a few minutes ago, he told me that she sees a pediatric allergist but not a pulmonologist. They scheduled an appt. today with a "Ears,Nose & Throat" (ENT) doc. He says that it seems to be mostly her trachea that is involved.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Anyone with asthma should be seeing a pulmonologist...even if it's allergy induced asthma. Asthma is a lung disease. Pulmonologists treat lung diseases.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
(male)

The Mayor HB User

Here is the latest;

She had a scope of her throat by an ENT and an exam by a pediatric allergist. Neither came up with a conclusive diagnosis. The allergist and some of the other doctor's think that anxiety is causing a lot of what she's going through now. She had asthma problems last weekend which really scared her. Now I think she's so worried about going through that again, that whenever she feels any tightness in her chest, she panics (always during the evening before going to bed) which causes chest pain, more difficulty breathing and escalates into a full panic attack. She seems to think that the pain and breathing won't get better unless she gets treated at the hospital. Last night we tried from about 8:00 p.m until 1:00 a.m. to calm her and relax her breathing, but once again it got so bad that we gave up and took her back at the ER. She was admitted last night and is still there. She had a CT Scan this morning and they may do some other tests to rule out other possibilites. If it is solely due to anxiety, we need some specific ways to help her.

No resolution yet.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Asthmatics often have difficulty breathing when they lay down. I can understand where tht would cause her anxiety and then lead to not wanting to go to bed, etc. I still think she needs to see a pulmonologist.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
(female)

GloryGurl HB User

I totally agree with Titchou, if this child has been dx with asthma then she needs to be seeing a pulmonologist! From reading all the posts it sounds like this child needs to be treated for anxiety. If this child had a true asthma attack and respiratory distress previously and her breathing was truely compromised it is understandable at her age that she can be anxious about another episode occurring. Although it is likely that all the tests being ordered on her will show nothing, but at the very least may give the parents and the child some peace of mind that there is no other underlying condition. I would say to be sure and have a medical professional educate the child in depth about living with and treating asthma as well as maybe a counselor or therapist to talk with the child about coping skills and anxiety.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:59 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Excellent advise also, GloryGurl.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #9
(male)

The Mayor HB User

Thank you Titchou and GloryGurl for your reponses. What does "dx" stand for?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
(female)

GloryGurl HB User

Sorry! "Dx" means diagnosis. I do alot of charting and when writing to people i tend to forget use the medical shorthand.

Closed Thread