It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

snowdrift HB User
Lower cost/generic asthma meds?

Are there any?

So far, I've found that albuterol solution for nebulizers is on the $4 list at various national retailers. My dr hasn't given me a scrip for that. (I suspect because she's suspects I'd stay home instead of going to the ER with a serious attack. And she might be right...)

Since the switch to HFA propellants, it seems that even albuterol inhalers are expensive. There appears to be no generic options for salmeterol or fluticasone. Or any other asthma med.

Is there really *no* low cost or lower cost treatment?

Old 05-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Lower cost/generic asthma meds?

Nope....the HFA one is about $35 here. You could try calling around to various pharmacies to see if someone has any of the old ones left. One mfg is still making it till the end of the year when they have to, by law, quit making it. I think Armstrong is one (am at the office and don't have it with me). Needless to say, the drug companies and Congress are in cahoots with each other...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Unfortunately the switch to HFA propellants involved reformulating the inhalers and gave drug companies extended patent coverage - I'm not sure when the patents start to expire (so that costs come down and generics will be introduced) but it will be a few years.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It is Armstrong Pharmaceuticals. You might try asking around for it as my pharmacist told me they will make it till the end of the year.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
(female)

acprivra HB User

You could also ask a nurse or doctor at your clinic if they have any discount cupons. One of the nurses at my last appointment gave me 2 cupons good for up to $20 off the new inhalers, I guess I can use the cupons as many times as needed until the $20 runs out. Also, sometimes you can find cupons or discounts for pharmacies online. Something to look into anyway . . .

Old 05-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
(female)

bluedog139 HB User

I've been away from this board for a while, so I don't know if you've mentioned this, but do you have insurance? I was on ProventilHFA as it cost the same as all the other HFA inhalers and when my insurance at work changed it went from $25 to $60 each. I called my insurance and found out that XopenexHFA is only $10. Which was great, less money and fewer side effects and my doctor was happy to make the switch.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
(female)

acprivra HB User

I do have prescription coverage. I use the ProAirHFA inhaler (I think it's albuterol). It costs $15 with my copay, but without it would cost $41.99. Luckily, I stocked up last year when I reached my deductable and I don't have to use them that often.

Closed Thread