It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
(female)

OceanBreeze0258 HB User
Asthma Attacks

I understand that with asthma comes asthma attacks. Wheezing, dry cough, very tight chest, chest pressure, shortness of breath, and exhasution. But I also have dizziness, and sometimes feel as though I might pass out. I have low blood pressure and know what it feels like to pass out, it is scarry and it makes my panic even more when I am having an attack like this. My question is, is the dizziness normal? Or is something else wrong too. I know the panic doesn;t help but i only tend to panic when I already feel dizzy. Thanks in advance far any help.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
(female)

snowdrift HB User
Re: Asthma Attacks

I'm pretty new to asthma, but yes, most of the asthma attacks I've had over the past several months came with a lot of dizziness. For a while, before I got on meds, I was having very frequent attacks and the dizziness didn't really go away between them.

It seems logical too, that if you're not getting enough oxygen, may have some CO2 building up, and are working to exhaustion to breathe, that dizziness would likely result.

Sometimes too, it's from the meds. I don't use a nebulizer at home, so each time I've used one was in a fairly acute episode, and the albuterol (and in one case pirtubetol (sp?) seemed to contribute to the dizziness.

One incident specifically that comes to mind is when I first went to my current doctor, she sent me down the hall for an xray. I was so dizzy and disoriented that it seemed like it was a long, long way away, down long twisty halls. When I went back the next week for a follow up, when I was medicated and doing much better, I noticed that the imaging was literally across the hall and down about fifteen feet. So, yeah, I have experienced dizziness and accompanying disorientation with asthma attacks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
(female)

Ginger9909 HB User

Im no expert but have recently been diagnosed after quite a while of suffering and getting no answers from my primary care. he would think it was just plain allergies or depression. Finally diagnosed through an allergist. I do get the dizziness and feeling that I am going to pass out at any moment quite often and seems to happen when i am out of breath due to this so i think it is normal. I too have low blood pressure which i guess doesnt help matters.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Ginger9909,

I am curious - what were/are your symptoms that caused you to go misdiagnosed for so long?

I am glad that you are getting the help you need - what treatment do they have you on?

Thank you!

Vanessa

Old 06-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
(female)

Ginger9909 HB User

i'd say about a year go i thought i may have it. For a while though i was getting weird things going on. I mentioned it to the doc and he said "no your not wheezing so you dont have it". I would get dizzy spells, feelings of wanting to pass out, no energy even though I may eat something that should give me a burst of energy and it doesnt help, breathlessnesss (something wasnt right although deep down i had a feeling this was it), weird pulling sensations which felt like they were coming from the the lungs and into the back part of it, also over the past few months i was getting nausea attacks which would last for days. Of course if you cant breath well this is going to happen.. The week before seeing the allergist it was at its most worst. I remember having a hard time breathing and it was much worst after i ate a heavy meal. Had i not gone on my own to see this doctor who knows where i would be right now. I was on an antibiotic for 2 weeks (she thought it may be an infection and just treated it), Mucinex D, Astelin spray, saline spray, Prevacid for my tummy, Advair. Its been a month and i do feel so much better and is a noticeable difference. I thank god I took initiative and saw this woman.

Closed Thread