It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
(female)

Ginger9909 HB User
asthma and eating a heavy meal

Does eating a heavy meal bring on asthma. It seems when I eat a very large meal I get breathless and just wondering if this is asthma or a digestive type of thing. Does anyone else get like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: asthma and eating a heavy meal

Certain digestive issues can mimic asthma..GERD, acid reflux, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
(female)

acprivra HB User

I have noticed this as well, though it doesn't always appear to relate to gerd or acid problems. What read is that your stomach is full and pushes up/restricts movement of your diaphragm (or something like this). I might be way off, but it's happened to me too.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
(female)

DiedInThe90s HB User

Yeah, I find that sometimes. But I usually have a low appetite, so it doesn't occur so often.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've got silent reflux that is exasperating my asthma when it comes up my esophagus. I would imagine that if you have GERD that the heavy meals may be pushing up additional acid that is upsetting your asthma.

By the way, I have been on a double dose PPI for a couple years and thought I had the acid under control because my symptoms weren't present. I had some additional asthma testing done a few weeks ago. Turns out my acid isn't under control at all. I have acid constantly coming up that is making my asthma out of control, in addition to other asthma triggers. I'm working with my Pulmonologist, Gasteroentologist, and ENT to find a solution. I'll keep you posted if I find a solution.

There are a couple tests that dr's can use to confirm if you do have acid affecting your asthma. One is a 24hr PH testing and the other is an esophagram or modified barium swallow.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
(female)

Ginger9909 HB User

thanks everyone! Yes please let me know what they find out. I do use the Prevacid, but find that if i eat like a pig one day, it just does not work.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
(female)

snowdrift HB User

Well, I'm now in this club. I was a little symptomatic for about a week, so I decided to take Friday evening to relax quietly by myself instead of caring for home and family. Started my date-with-myself by going out to dinner. Classic steak and potatoes meal, with a cocktail. Within fifteen minutes of leaving the restaurant, a moderately severe attack hit me very hard and fast, and I spent the next twenty hours in the hospital. Still recovering.

I know I'll be more cautious to eat lightly and healthily when I'm having any symptoms at all.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
(female)

Ginger9909 HB User

Sorry to hear about that. Do the doctors see that there is a connection between eating too much and this happening?

I have been watching my diet (not as many pig outs lately), taking my inhaler, and Prevacid and my symptoms are greatly reduced. I did eat heavily a few days ago and it seemed to come on again with the hard breathing.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I wonder if its food causing asthma attacks - or if it could be GERD/Reflux or a hiatal hernia. This would cause the stomach to push up - putting pressure on the big breathing muscle and making breathing difficult.

I have heard that if this is the cause/case USUALLY your rescue inhaler will not provide relief.

I get bad breathing episodes OFTEN that are connected to my stomach - and my rescue inhaler does nothing to help my breathing. I too take Prevacid and eat a modified diet. I am going through a battery of tests for GERD/Reflux to see how severe it is....

I wish the best of health and breathing to everyone.

Closed Thread