It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
(female)

gimpydimp HB User
If the Albuterol works, is it asthma?

My doctor said today (before I got my first inhaler at the pharmacy) said that he would say I had reactive airway disorder but couldn't say asthma yet. I said how do you tell? He said if the inhaler works, it's asthma and it's a lot easier to tell that way than to put someone through the challenge test that has to be done at a hospital because it's dangerous anyway. So I use the inhaler and get great results! So,... is this a real way to diagnose asthma v. RAD? I am totally confused by this whole asthma thing. BTW, I am 60 and have had symptoms similar to those I have had these last few days (only not nearly as bad) over the years but no doctor has ever said it's actually asthma (although it was always "could be") because I don't wheeze. I wheezed this weekend but my doctor didn't hear it and today I wasn't wheezing. Anyway, I guess my main issue is if the albuterol inhaler worked, is that diagnostic for asthma?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
(female)

OceanBreeze0258 HB User
Re: If the Albuterol works, is it asthma?

Not necesserally. The reason for this is that Albuterol works by opening the airways, not just for asthma but also for bronchitias, pnemonia, and other respitory aliments. It even helps to relieve the spmptoms of a cold. In general you doctor would only perscribe an inhaler if he really thought that it was asthma. If you are concerned with your diagnosis then go to a pulminologist. They are more equipted to diagnose asthma anyway. I hope that all goes well and you feel better. Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread