It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
(female)

IAGRL HB User
chronic violent cough

Hi, I have had a chronic, persistent cough X1 year now, and can't seem to get an answer. I've been to a pulmonologist and he found that I have asthma. I've tried SEVERAL asthma medications and none of them work!!! My albuterol inhaler doesn't even stop the coughing! I never wheeze or get short of breath, I just cough......all the time. What else could it be? And what meds could help??????????

PLEASE write back, I'm desperate!
Thank you, Liz

Old 06-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
(female)

OceanBreeze0258 HB User
Re: chronic violent cough

Wow sounds like a very familiar story. I had a cronic cough for the last 2 years and only after I stopped breathing because of an attack did anyone pay any attention. Talk to the pulmonoligist about a preventer med like flovent/singliair/or advair. It will help you to keep the cough under control and the blue Albuterol inhealer can help when you have a "coughing fit" to ease it. If the cough is not getting better than you need to see your doctor about different meds. There are even different "rescue" meds that may work better to get rid of your cough. Also their may be an irritant, or allergen that is around you that is causing you to cough. If you don't get away from the cause of the cough you will continue to cough despite the use of rescue inhalers. I hope that this helps and that you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

IAGRL,

Have you been tested for Acid Reflux/GERD - this can cause a chronic cough which is unrelieved by asthma medications?

Vanessa

Old 06-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Perhaps it is time to find another doctor for a second/third opinion?

Old 06-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

As the previous posts indicated, there are 4 main causes of a chronic cough:

-asthma
-allergies
-post nasal drip
-acid reflux

I have had trouble with this for years. Through testing, I found that I have all of the above. And that I have a symptom of a cough for all. Even for the acid, my symptom is a chronic cough and not heartburn. For me, it was finding the right balance of treatment for all of them at the same time in order to get the cough under control. When one goes out of wack, it throws the others off. It took a very long time of trying out one thing at a time, but I had a great PCP that helped me through it.

My current treatment: Prevacid 2x/day (for acid), singulair (for asthma), advair 500/50 (for asthma), allegra (for allergies), Flonase (for allergies), Astelin (for allergies), immunotherapy and Albuterol and Tessalon Perle as needed for asthma.

Last edited by MountainReader; 06-12-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Closed Thread