It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
(female)

ROakes1019 HB User
asthma and humidity

Does anyone have asthma attacks related to high humidity? What relief can a dehumidifier provide?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
(female)

dreamingofasong HB User
Re: asthma and humidity

i haven't tried a dehumidifier.
i haven't actually heard of many people who's asthma is triggered by humidity, too--mine is.

i was just recently told i 'might' have asthma and was put on salbutamol--there was a day when our humidity was really bad--i used it four times that day . . .

if you try the dehumidifier, let us know how it works!
best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
(female)

acprivra HB User

Or you can try using the A/C in your house or car (if you have it).

Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
(female)

ROakes1019 HB User

I have ordered a dehumidifier; it should come tomorrow. I have the airconditioner running full blast; my husband just brought home an allergy filter for it. For a while I've suspected that high humidity triggers my asthma so I began monitoring the humidity. On days when it's up around 70 or fixing to rain, I really suffer. Then a couple of days ago, I felt better and checked to find the humidity down to 43. I asked about my doctor about a dehumidifier and he said he thought it might help. For a long time I didn't think I had asthma because my breathing tests don't show much lack of breath ability and I don't really get a lot of relief from albuterol. I have to take it all day when I'm suffering. So I'm looking forward to getting the dehumidifier and will let you know the results.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I really hope you get relief from it - I am anxious to hear your results. My breathing is the WORST when its humid out -- its just AWFUL.... As soon as a storm hits and breaks the humidty I can breath better. I really hate this time of the year here because there are a LOT of humid days

Best of luck to you and MUCH RELIEF.

Vanessa

Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
(male)

Capttom48 HB UserCapttom48 HB User

This is a timely topic. I have been trying to recover from an asthma flare following a URI. The infection is history (I hope) but I still have 10 days on my pred taper.
Today I was home in the a/c when my daughter called and said she was out of gas. I left the house to help her but while fooling with the gas can at the station, the heat and humidity caused me a lot of problems. My daughter had to finish filling the can and putting it her car herself. I literally had to sit in my car with the a/c going full blast.
I was surprised at how quickly I had trouble. So I agree that heat and humidity play a big role in asthma flares. I would suggest that we all watch out for ourselves both inside and outside.

Oh, and I would further suggest that we all keep an eye on the air quality alerts.

Tom

Old 06-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
(male)

john319 HB User
Post Re: asthma and humidity

Humidity more than heat has always been my main trigger for asthma since I was first diagnosed with it in 2000. I forget which site I read on asthma triggers but they included humidity. Two years ago I was so afraid of heat/humidity/a room being stuffy, I would have the door opened. Example: when I went to my ENT the exam room was small and I would always ask him to keep the door open; I didn't care if someone heard my situation. A nurse at another dr's office also said she felt some asthma symptoms when it was hot/humid. Finally: when ever temps and the humidity soar, the weather services will issue air warnings for everyone but especially for those with asthma.

Closed Thread