It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
(male)

outrun HB User
What did I do?

Well I have asthma and have had it since I was 5. Now I am 29 and I have a problem right now.

For the last 4 years I have gotten Pneumonia and I usually end up in the emergency room getting treatment. Always goes away. Not this year.

I got sick about 2 months ago and it went away but I was left with flim so I just tried to cough it up. Didn't happen. About a month of this I got a nebulizer and that didn't help to break it up and get loose either. Then I bought some Mucinex. That didn't help either. Now I could still cough some stuff up but nothing major.

As of 3 weeks ago my asthma or this whatever was so bad that my wheezing would wake me up just because it was so loud. I finally went to the doctor after it has been 2 months. They didn't say what was wrong but gave me a z-pack and Prednisone. She also said I needed to get an extra and be back in 2 weeks.

Well it has been a week and I am finished with both meds and I am only maybe slightly better if that. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend money out of my pocket for x-rays but looks like I will.

So, here are my questions.

Does prednisone continue to work a few days after you are done taking it and this might clear up?

Can pneumonia be permanent and not go away? (Sometimes I feel like there is no flim and then it appears out of no where)

Does a chest x-ray provide that much information into what is going on?

Thanks for the replies, also excuse the spelling I just don't want to look up the correct spelling right now. I am just taking a short break here.

Thanks, Jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: What did I do?

-Does prednisone continue to work a few days after you are done taking it and this might clear up?

Not really - there may a little bit of benefit for a day after you stop taking it but it's short acting (and because they typically taper you off of prednisone you generally get most of the effect in the first few days.

-Can pneumonia be permanent and not go away? (Sometimes I feel like there is no flim and then it appears out of no where)

Pneumonia's not really a chronic disease (by definition it's usually caused by bacteria, viruses or fungus that are usually treatable) but there are related diseases like Chronic Bronchitis, COPD and even asthma that can cause the symptoms you describe and that are permanent.

-Does a chest x-ray provide that much information into what is going on?

Yes - they'll be able to see if you have fluid in your lungs and inflammation that indicate pneumonia, they'll also be able to see any other abnormalities in your lungs.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Re: What did I do?

Z-pac does continue working on you for about 5 days to a week ..... it's a vey strong antibiotic and personally it usually takes the extra week to make me feel better. I know the xrays are $$$$ but if you're missing work becasue of it you could be loosing $$ too....Phnemonia usally takes 3 months on averag.e to fully recover though a few times it took me 6 months before my lungs felt clear . Especially if it's double (in both lungs).I'm just getting ove rit right now and I knwo my whle summer is a right off beacuse of it , every little thing wears me out. Feel better soon!!

Closed Thread