It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

kellysmum HB User
Asthma gets worse when tired-usual?

I have noticed that my asthma symptoms are worse at night, particularly right after dinner, and are worse on days that have been especially busy or hectic. I am fine in the morning and afternoons, then in the evenings, right before bed, I start to have the symptoms-shortness of breath, tight chest, phlegm production, etc.

We have air purifiers and cleaners all over the house, esp. in the bedroom. I take numerous meds, including Advair 500/50, Singulair, Xyzal, and Veramyst, for my asthma. Sometimes I use Combivent or Albuterol, and if I'm really bad, I have a nebulizer.

Does anyone else experience these same patterns of symptoms-late in the day?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Asthma gets worse when tired-usual?

Do you have any reflux?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
(male)

Capttom48 HB UserCapttom48 HB User

I think fatigue weakens your resistance. Before I had to retire due to my asthma, I found that the later in the work week, the more my asthma flared. Although exposure to stress and irritants at work were also factors, I did notice that my asthma worsened the more tired I was.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
(female)

kellysmum HB User

No, I don't have any reflux-had an upper endoscopy in May that came out clear.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Stress can definetely affect asthma. Hectic days and being tired could be influencing you.

I wouldn't rely solely on your endoscopy to diagnose acid. If you think you might be having some acid, you need to get a 24hr PH or a Bravo PH to get a real diagnosis. Both of those tests actually put probes in your esophagus or stomach to measure the acid. I had an endoscopy two years ago that came back completely normal. My PH probe verified I had alot of acid. My symptom for the acid is a cough. My symptom for my asthma is a cough. The acid is aggrevating my asthma at times. (I don't get heartburn at all.) The reason I asked you about this is because if you have some acid reflux, it could trigger your asthma after meals.

Just a thought. I hope you find something that helps you.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
(female)

Ginger9909 HB User

YES YES I was just thinking of this last night. The prior night i had a really lousy night sleep and the next day i felt horrible. As it turns out of course during these times when i dont get much sleep or i am stressed out, the asthma seems to flare up 100%. I do feel much worse on these days that i do not sleep well, very out of breath.
I thought it was just me. I too seem to get affected after a big meal even though I am taking Prevacid. I will get out of breath. Also when I am under stress or exercise too much it will flare up.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Perhaps you have a 'Hiatal Hernia' - which can cause shortness of breath - after a big meal or exercising puts pressure on it.

Just a thought.

Vanessa

Closed Thread