It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

holahanson HB User
Questions about asthma and Advair

I've been having problems breathing for the last month or two, and I went to see my doctor today and she thinks I have allergy induced asthma from mold (I'm working in the mountains, living in a tiny cabin which is super old and does have a lot of mold =() She gave me Advair 100/50 for every day and then a rescue inhaler in case I need it.

I was wondering, she told me just to take it for the next 3 weeks (because I will only be living there for another 3 weeks and then I will be coming home to go back to school). Theoretically, since I'm allergic to the mold, will my asthma symptoms go away when I come home and move out of the cabin? That's what my doctor told me, and that's what I'm hoping, but I'm still nervous. Also, I've read on here that Advair can cause weight gain... I'm really nervous taking it now (I will anyways of course) because I recently lost a lot of weight and have been keeping it off and I really really do NOT want to gain weight. How much do you think I may gain in a month? I know every person is different, just wondering though. And I know 3 weeks isn't a big deal, but I'm just super paranoid.

Also... maybe a dumb question, but how do you know you're having an attack? Will I just know if I have one? Could I have already had one? Sometimes it's really bad and I can really not breathe, but I've never had the wheezing or anything else except shortness of breath and trouble swallowing. When it's really bad am I having an attack then?

Last edited by holahanson; 07-25-2008 at 01:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
(female)

xone20sevenx HB User
Re: Questions about asthma and Advair

I can't help you out with the attack part because I haven't had one in forever. I just remember I couldn't breathe and no medicine i took would help; i just remember being really scared. There have been times where I've not been able to breathe so well, to the point of having trouble even coughing but it didn't feel like an attack.

Advair wise: I've been using it for a few years now and I didn't ever gain weight from it; none of my habits changed or anything. I don't think I had ever heard anything about that, but again every person is different. From my experience though: never had a problem!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

If you gain any weight at all from the Advair (a few people do but most don't), the amount you would gain in 3 weeks would be very small. Because Advair is an inhaled steroid, only a tiny amount, if any, ever gets into your bloodstream, and it's the steroids that may contribute to the weight gain. I wouldn't worry about it at all if you're taking the Advair for such a short period of time.

As for taking it for only the time you're exposed that probably makes sense - it may take a couple of weeks for your body to fully recover after you're no longer exposed, so you might keep taking the Advair for a few days after you're out of that cabin and keep the rescue inhaler close at hand for at least a few weeks.

Finally, what you describe as shortness of breath is an asthma attack. Not everyone wheezes. In an asthma attack your airways get inflamed restricting the flow of air into and out of your lungs. Chest tightness, gasping to get enough air and shortness of breath are all common symptoms of an attack and are an indication that you should use your rescue inhaler.

Good luck for the next 3 weeks.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:04 AM   #4
(female)

footsiedee HB User

hola....i have asthma that has been poorly controlled at times. yet i (to my knowledge/perception) never wheezed up until the last year or so. that was scary. but i agree, what you are feeling is little attacks. and you do not want them to spiral into an all out flare, so do use that prevention med (advair) and the rescue inhaler when your throat feels tight. one time i couldnt figure why my symptoms had got worse until i pulled the bed away from wall to vacuume. lousy insulation or ??? but there was some mold spots growing on the (outside) wall. once i cleaned it with bleach water, i got better. i recently moved to a renovated building and symptoms improved a lot. i had noticed mold coming through the drywall in the roof in old building. so i hope your issues resolve when you are back home.

Closed Thread