It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
(female)

karen61 HB User
advair and singulair

This is my second full day on advair (twice, daily) and singulair (once, nightly)...should I be able to tell a difference in my breathing yet? I am still having episodes of great difficulty in getting a good breath and cannot handle being outdoors in the heat at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2008, 03:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: advair and singulair

It will take several days for the Singulair to have its full effect. Half of the Advair should work immediately but it contains two medications - a long-acting beta agonist (that should work immediately but that doesn't necessarily provide complete relief) and an inhaled steroid that also takes several days to have a full effect.

After just a couple of days you're only getting a partial benefit so stick with it for a while to see if you start to see improvement.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
(female)

xone20sevenx HB User

I'm on advair and have been for quite a few years now. I remember it took me a week or so to get used to it because of the type of medicine it is. I started out on it twice a day but my asthma is so under control from the help of the advair that I'm only once a day. I am an athlete so that is saying a lot! (though i stlll do use albuterol every now and then)

Old 08-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

I take Advair 500 twice a day; Spiriva and my fast acting Salbutamol. I did take a Singular tonight because today I am having a difficult time getting enough of a breath.

Advair and Singular will not stop an asthma attack or quickly remedy your labored breathing, for that you need a fast acting orally inhaled airway opener such as Ventolin,Salbutamol,Aupent or Proventil. If you do have asthma you should always carry your Ventolin or any of the other fast acting airway dilators with you. It sucks when you feel like you can't breath and than it gets worse out of anxiety.

I tend to feel better pretty quick on the Singular, I don't take it on a regular bases but I did tonight as it relaxes your airways. I do feel better already-you should be feeling better soon. If not go back to your Dr and get a fast acting airway opener.

Good luck

Last edited by ebrena; 08-09-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added & spelling

Old 08-10-2008, 04:17 AM   #5
(female)

footsiedee HB User

karen...i had changed to the advair about 1 1/2yrs ago. it worked pretty well, but then i moved to cleaner apartment without mold issues, and that worked better. but this spring, as soon as weather had me opening my windows my symptoms got out of control again. i was switched to Symbicort, again and improvement. but i have to concede, where i live is not good ,100 feet from the highway cutting through town, and next door to a hotel where occassionally truck drivers leave trucks idling in winter, or leave the reefer on (to keep food items cold) on in summer. my job is driving a car in traffic all day....car exhaust, and it is on natural gas...further issues. my point is give the advair a good try, perhaps even a month unless you are still gasping for breath. but more importantly assess your living environment, avoid mold. most important room is the bedroom as you have your face in the linen 8 hrs at night. when i finally put the all enclosing zip up water resisitant dust mite proof cover on the bed, that had big impact (postitive) as well. i am kicking myself for not getting the air conditioner i was wanting in the spring. not because of the cooling, but to keep out the pollutants when it is so hot i must leave the windows open. next years project! if you smoke...quit! how long have you known you had a breathing problem, is this a new diagnosis?

Closed Thread